Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 01-07-2008, 05:06 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road
Default CUC with Porcupine Puffer??

Wife and Daughter have been lookin at vids on Youtube of Porc Puffers adn now they reaaaaallllllly want one for our fowler tank. I however, am wanting crustacean's like Scarlet hermits, Narcissus snails, Sexy shrimp, cleaner shrimp etc. Was also thinking mated pair of Clowns, Fairy Basslet, Watchman Goby and maybe a Yellow longnose butterflyfish.

But, I am wondering how the CUC would fair with the Puffer? I assume that he's have a smorgasboard with them. Wife keeps givin me the puppydog eyes though
Old 01-07-2008, 05:38 PM

justinl is on a distinguished road

most cuc would be toast in a tank with a porky. no shrimp, hermits and most snails. Something like a conch should be fine, brittle stars might be okay... maybe. You could also try large turbo snails. i doubt an urchin would fare well, but it might be worth a shot.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:00 PM

Nicole8ca is on a distinguished road

I have a porcupine puffer with 3 cleaner shrimp, a fire shrimp, 2 blue hermit crabs, 5 turbo snails and 5 bumble bee snails. They've been in the same tank for about 3 weeks with no issues. I count them everyday just to check but they are all still there. Maybe it's just a matter of time but the puffer is really quite a loner and keeps to himself.

There was one day where the puffer picked up one of the bumble bee snails but that's as far as it went.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:39 PM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

My Porcupine was small and he still "tasted" everything that moved...snails, starfish, hermits...you name it...he ate whatever he could fit in his mouth...or crunched it up so it would fit....!

Old 01-08-2008, 12:48 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

My wife's Poofie loves to snack on shore crabs so any hermits or shrimp would be toast eventually. For a clean up crew, I have a sandsifting star (had to temporarily take it out for a while earlier because the cowfish were sampling its legs) and conchs. They do a good job now of keeping the 120g fowlr's sand nice and clean.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:00 PM

bubblepuffer is on a distinguished road

I got all kind of invert in the tank with my Porcupine, clowns, tangs and also Stars and Stripes puffer and all leaving as a happy family together.. The puffer only interested on the frozen Shrimp that I feed him with