Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-01-2008, 08:33 PM

asherah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to asherah
Default instant cycling ?

I read about this sand that stated it could instantly copmplete the ammonia cycle How would this e possiale if at all
Has ayone tried this ?

aslo why would reef ceramics shorten the cycle period ? do you still hae to add lie rock ?

Last edited by asherah; 01-01-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:02 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Not possible. Don't use any of those ceramics or bioballs, etc they create a nitrate factory in SW aquariums.

A cycle generally takes 4-6 weeks, and really is the shortest and easiest stage in your tank's development. It will take another 8-18 months for your tank to mature and establish. Don't rush the cycle. Don't buy the gimmicks. Sit back, wait, plan, and enjoy what is coming to life in front of you.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:34 PM

asherah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to asherah

That's what I thought =) thanks alot
asherah
Old 01-01-2008, 10:04 PM

No problem.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:33 AM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Don't know about the sand you refer to, but IME there is such a thing as instant cycle. I've set up a marine tank 4 times and each time the CURED Live Rock rendered no cycle whatsoever. There is enough Nitrate in the LR already to deal with any ammonia, thus no ammonia spike.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:40 AM

Kabong is on a distinguished road

I'll Back Mark up on what he said.
When you use cured rock or even rock thats started into the cycle. There's a large enough bacteria population, That once its taked out of the overly filled store tank and placed into your tank with fresh clean water theres little to no cycle.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:58 AM

I've always had at least a bit of a cycle even from "cured" rock. There is always die-off when it travels out of the water from the store to your house. I suppose if you brought buckets of water with you and kept them submerged this wouldn't happen. The shortest cycle I ever had with "cured" rock was about 2 1/2 weeks when Ammonia and Nitrite finally reached 0. A cycle includes Nitrite, not just Ammonia.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:18 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

The best way to ensure an "instant" cycle is to buy your LR first and have it bubbling away in the dark in a heated rubbermaid tub for several weeks while you go off and collect the rest of your equipment - the longer the better. This way by the time you're ready to start the tank any necessary cycling is already done plus you have the added bonus of ridding yourself of a lot of nuisance algae and crap that was trapped in the rock.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkshiu View Post
The best way to ensure an "instant" cycle is to buy your LR first and have it bubbling away in the dark in a heated rubbermaid tub for several weeks while you go off and collect the rest of your equipment - the longer the better. This way by the time you're ready to start the tank any necessary cycling is already done plus you have the added bonus of ridding yourself of a lot of nuisance algae and crap that was trapped in the rock.
Bingo! But you can't really call that instant cycling. That is just called "curing" your rocks, but the difference between curing at home and curing at the store is that there is only a few seconds they are out of water when they are transfered at home from the bin to your tank. They mis the road trip from the store to the tank. This is what I do with my rock.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:42 AM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Reefer View Post
Don't know about the sand you refer to, but IME there is such a thing as instant cycle. I've set up a marine tank 4 times and each time the CURED Live Rock rendered no cycle whatsoever. There is enough Nitrate in the LR already to deal with any ammonia, thus no ammonia spike.
Not saying anybody's right or wrong here. Just saying...IME there is such a thing as instant cycle. And IME the rock was transported out of water, in buckets and totes. Ammonia was never zero (never is in any aquarium), just never got a spike. With ammonia comes nitrites, of course, but minimal as well and proportional. Just goes without saying.
Again, IME.