Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > Vancouver Island

Old 12-28-2007, 04:52 AM

Canadian is on a distinguished road
Default Victoria Area Roll Call

Just looking to compile a list of reefers in and around Victoria.

I couldn't resist the pull of Victoria (It actually had more to do with more money at a clinic I like than anything to do with Victoria, but who's counting?) so I'm going to be moving back to Victoria some time in mid January. My girlfriend will be staying in Vancouver at our apartment until August while she finishes her Masters so I'm going to be able do some back and forth shopping at J&L and OA when I come back on the weekends to be with her (that means I can pick things up for people on occasion).

My biggest concern though is that when I was in Victoria last week I poked my head into most of the LFSs that have salt water livestock and supplies and the only remotely decent one still lacked any reasonable stock (quality, price and variety on drygoods and livestock). Are most of you guys just buying stuff from the mainland/online? I was kind of hoping that things would have improved since the days when I was working part time in several of the LFSs about 9 years ago but that looks to be a no-go.

Anyway, get your SPS frags ready because my SPS tank has cycled!
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 12-28-2007, 05:06 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

there seams to be no one stop shopping here, something is there something is here and so on. yes mail order is a big part of it also, but there is a new place that is showing some promise even though they are just opening up, but they are not going to be doing live stock from what I know, but rather higher end equipment at reasonable prices.

I am even finding J&L to be expensive compared to other on-line places and there staple equipment lines outdated. it hard now to stay with one place with different established companies moving into the fish world offering a better product for a better price.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:22 AM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

Steve,

What new place is opening up? Where is it located? What is it called? And who is the owner?

A good dry goods place in Victoria would be awesome. I'm fairly comfortable buying frags from hobbyists so I'd really like to see a place I can run to when I need some Rowaphos or an Elos test kit or something like that. With respect to SPS I think mainlanders are lucky to have Wendell at OA. I've been shopping with J&L since it opened and things certainly have changed there . . .
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 12-28-2007, 06:27 AM

Cameron is on a distinguished road

Hey Andrew, I frag a bunch myself and am originally from Abbotsford. I shop mainland most of the time due to better prices and service than the LFS. $10/lb for LR is ridiculous. $100 for a SPS frag or small colony, that's brown. New place is in Colwood on Island Highway near Colwood corners. There is a local aquarist forum www.tgvas.com but they will not allow you to post anything negative about their sponsors or say anything about any non sponsor store, things are pretty tight there. PM me if you have any questions.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:04 AM

scumchug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
Hey Andrew, I frag a bunch myself and am originally from Abbotsford. I shop mainland most of the time due to better prices and service than the LFS. $10/lb for LR is ridiculous. $100 for a SPS frag or small colony, that's brown. New place is in Colwood on Island Highway near Colwood corners. There is a local aquarist forum www.tgvas.com but they will not allow you to post anything negative about their sponsors or say anything about any non sponsor store, things are pretty tight there. PM me if you have any questions.

Things are much more expensive here. I don't like the fact that stores charge double, or even three times as much as stores on the mainland. Granted everything is more expensive here. Even fellow reefers like to price things high.

Remember the guy selling

3 zoo's for $35.00 ?

How about the GSP for $20/ frag.

OHHHH.... and my personal favorite..$20.00 for a 2" Kenya Tree Frag

Last edited by Aquattro; 12-28-2007 at 03:16 PM. Reason: inappropriate wording
Old 12-28-2007, 08:32 AM

Reef_kid is on a distinguished road

creatures has been bringing in coral very decent prices ... i picked up some very nice pieces ... for 1/4 the price of any other store in victoria
and pet smarts chemicals/additives and equipment prices are very good
Old 12-28-2007, 12:23 PM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
.... There is a local aquarist forum www.tgvas.com but they will not allow you to post anything negative about their sponsors or say anything about any non sponsor store, things are pretty tight there. .....
If I'm not mistaken, you can't do that on this site either, so it's not like TGVAS is alone on this.

Edit: BTW Not saying anything about non sponsor stores on TGVAS is not entirely true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumchug View Post
..... Even fellow reefers like to rip each other off.

Remember the guy selling

3 zoo's for $35.00 ?.....
I thought it was $40.......each frag!

Last edited by Johnny Reefer; 12-28-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Reefer View Post
If I'm not mistaken, you can't do that on this site either,

Ok, let's not get extreme here We can certainly mention the name of any new store opening up that will benefit the local hobbyists.
My understanding is that this is primarily a hydroponics shop that will be bringing some aquarium supplies. If one of you knows the name of it, please do post..

As for local shopping Andrew, the market is mostly the way you left it. Prices are negotiable to a point, but some stuff just can't be bought here meaning OA & J&L still get lots of Victoria business.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:48 PM

Swags is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Swags
Default vic

Hi Andrew,
There is always the 'lets make a quick trip to the mainland' tour with fellow reefers to cut costs. I buy very little in Victoria because of the prices and selection, but most of the staff are very nice to deal with, and I think they know why most of us experienced reefers have to buy online. With that said, welcome back to the 'rock'.
Cheers,
Phil
AMEN.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:12 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef_raf View Post
Ok, let's not get extreme here We can certainly mention the name of any new store opening up that will benefit the local hobbyists.
My understanding is that this is primarily a hydroponics shop that will be bringing some aquarium supplies. If one of you knows the name of it, please do post..

As for local shopping Andrew, the market is mostly the way you left it. Prices are negotiable to a point, but some stuff just can't be bought here meaning OA & J&L still get lots of Victoria business.
Progressive growth, but they only have a few things in right now as they are getting there tank up and running. They will bring in stuff that they are going to carry and the prices looked awesome on skimmers, pumps, lighting ect..

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.