Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 12-03-2007, 02:12 AM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road
Default i think ive finaly gone insane

ok i think my ive lost the battle with my mts and ive gone crazy this time, ive always had a thing for groupers and other large fish but my recent purchase is posibly the coolest or dumest thing ive done yet.

hes currently in a 130g qt tank as you can see in the last pic hes 18" long and im guessing about 5-6" wide and 7-8" tall so whats that about 8-10 gallons of water hes taking up.
either way hes cool as hell as far as im concerned the wife isnt so shure yet,im not shure how much my food bill is gonna go up yet but but i fed him about 4-5 full shrimp and it seemed like a small snack. hes very calm and not agressive when eating compared to the other groupers i have,
ill be adding him in with the others this week and hopfully all goes well or i dont know what im gonna do about it 3 foot long fish vs 1 18" monster
Old 12-03-2007, 02:19 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, hes beautiful. Looks very healthy! Where did you find such a big grouper? I usually see them for sale quite small. I have never seen your tank, how big is it? What other groupers do you have? Nice fish!
Old 12-03-2007, 02:40 AM

i got him from golds in calgary, hes been hidden away for a long time disposing of any dead fish in the store, his eyes are very cloudy and had some specks on them i would guess possibly ich but either way hes getting treated and im soaking all his food in garlic and vitamins,as for what kind of grouper i guess hes called a speckeled grouper epinephelus cyanopodus but thier is another grouper thats very simular looking wich he might be as well, their very nice looking when small but i couldnt find a pic of the juvi colours anywhere.
his new tank is gonna be the 300g i build a few months ago with a emperor snapper,black spotted grouper and a panther grouper.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36511

i had 2 leaflip groupers in thier also but removed them cause they couldnt compeate for food, and the yellow tang is also getting removed for its own safety
Old 12-03-2007, 02:40 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

Kudos on the decision to QT your new purchase. Makes me happy to see QT in action!

Are you going to name it?
Old 12-03-2007, 02:45 AM

Richard_Dicosimo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Richard_Dicosimo

do grupers get along well with eachother? i didnt think they did. nice purchase i have always wanted a coral grouper but they get so big i swear you almost need a 1000 gal tank and a large bank roll for food.

Richard
Old 12-03-2007, 03:25 AM

after losing a tankfull of fish a couple years ago i qt every fish i get now,ive never had problems with groupers fighting but i dont think id try 2 of the same type,although i did end up with 2 leaflip groupers and when i added them together they buddied up right away, im thinking i should name his just cause hes gonna be such a presence in the tank but im not shure what yet,
Old 12-03-2007, 03:58 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Good Lord what are you going to feed that thing, German Shepherds ???? I think I know what's next for you: find a house with a swimming pool. Then go buy a whole lotta salt buckets .......

No seriously, that's very neat. My hat is off to you, best of luck. Go big or go home, they always say .... I see you've found a way to do both.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:48 AM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee
Default watch out yellow tang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Good Lord what are you going to feed that thing, German Shepherds ???? I think I know what's next for you: find a house with a swimming pool. Then go buy a whole lotta salt buckets .......

No seriously, that's very neat. My hat is off to you, best of luck. Go big or go home, they always say .... I see you've found a way to do both.
that things gonna eat your yellow tang !!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 06:52 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

His name at the store was "Buddy".
Old 12-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Buddy looks more like something I'd find at T&T (Chinese supermarket that sells live fish for dinners) than at the LFS. Holy smokes Albert, that's a monster fish to keep as a environmentally friendly waste disposal unit.

Better you than me, dude. I would hate to buy bags of prawns to feed that one fish. My wife already claims my fish eat better than we do.

Anthony