Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-22-2007, 09:12 PM

Slipstream is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Slipstream Send a message via MSN to Slipstream Send a message via Yahoo to Slipstream
Default Essential Reef set up equipment

Hi, i was just wondering if somebody could make a list for me of all the things i need in order to successfully set up a reef tank. Right from the size of tanks, down to the color of substrate

Thanx
Old 11-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Masterbaiter

Joe Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Joe Reefer

You can check out our "Just Starting Out" reference library there is many great links there.

This is also a good read for a beginner.
And another one.

Welcome to the hobby.!
Old 11-22-2007, 09:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to Slipstream Send a message via MSN to Slipstream Send a message via Yahoo to Slipstream

A currently have a FO salwater, and a freshwater, but i want a list of things i will need for a reef, instead of reading through 20 different articles. Once i get the stuff i need, THAN ill read some more, considering ive already read like 5 books, and 50 articles, but they all say something slightly different of what u need. So i need a list of it to help me get started. Thanx
Old 11-22-2007, 09:31 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

You can ask 50 different people and you will get 50 different answers. The information is out there.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2

Last edited by digital-audiophile; 11-22-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:33 PM

Forget i asked than.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:37 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

That's not what I am saying, I'm just suggesting that there is a lot of info to be found. In the end it really depends on what you want to do?

If you are just doing softies and no fish then PC lighting and no skimmer may work. If you are going full SPS and lots of fish then you would need Hallides, heavy skimming, zeovit and so forth.

What are your plans? I'm sure eveyone would be happy to share their experiences.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 11-22-2007, 09:39 PM

kwirky is on a distinguished road

i've been in the reef hobby for about a year and a half and I'm just starting to leave the "noob" phase. What I've found is that even though equipment can be exciting, when you look at an amazing tank and go "wow!" the equipment is only 1/4 of the reason it looks so good. Consistent tank husbandry, lots of patience, and lots of planning is what makes or breaks a tank I think. Read read read like joe said. There are all sorts of ways to keep a tank at various sizes and all can be successful. I rushed my first reef tank and thought it was just the gear that would make for a nice tank and concequently I paid the price.

Do step back though and think "how much do I have to spend on this tank?" One person said a good estimate of a tank cost is $30 per gallon and I think that's right on the money if you want to run a really nice tank.

Reading is the best way to learn in the intial stages before you have your tank because there's SO much to learn that discussion on the forums would not cover it all. The canreef document library is great Cristy does a great job maintaining it.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:39 PM

A full reef system tank, soft, hard, fish, inverts, the whole bit.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:41 PM

As i have said, i have read A LOT of material already, but i am looking for a start up list. Because everything i read basically says, u need this, but not this, but you should have it anyways cause it adds to the bubble effect. I wanna know what i actually NEED to start one successfully.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Masterbaiter

Joe Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Joe Reefer

I would read 5 more books and 50 more articles before any purchase is made. Sorry to disapoint you but keeping a reef is not the same as a fish only tank. There is so many more things to consider then salinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream View Post
A currently have a FO salwater, and a freshwater, but i want a list of things i will need for a reef, instead of reading through 20 different articles. Once i get the stuff i need, THAN ill read some more, considering ive already read like 5 books, and 50 articles, but they all say something slightly different of what u need. So i need a list of it to help me get started. Thanx