Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-28-2007, 05:20 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road
Talking our dollar buys more but only if your ask

Local LFS are giving in to ours demands to buy US made stuff they sell at US prices.

If the clerk won't sell you at US prices ask to see the manager and firmly, (kind of loudly so others will hear) but Very Friendy and politely) tell the manager you will only buy the product at the US price.

Not one decline yet and if a manager refused I would have left the store.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:32 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

You know that there are other issues that make Canadian products cost more...right? Currency exchange only explains part of the difference.

(No, I'm not a retailer...)
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 10-28-2007, 05:34 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Thats still a tough call on that one. Stores can charge whatever they want for a product. ANd is especially tough fro a store whom bought said item say, 6-8 months ago, or a year ago, when the dollar was alot less. Now, you want to force them to sell at a loss. Ultametly, it's up to the store if they want to take the loss on an item or not.

I'm not a retailer either, but buy/sell products to both sides of the border.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:40 AM

fishmaster is on a distinguished road

Like duty, brokerage,shipping ect...Also, if a retailer bought stock say 6 months ago, or a year(assume any big dealer has to buy big volume to get the right price)should they lose money on the sale? I can see them doing their best to keep your business, but don't expect the prices to be the same overnight. Take a look at the dealers on this site, most of their prices are already very competitive.

Last edited by fishmaster; 10-28-2007 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:44 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Competitive heck ya, I have been checking alot of prices form JL and on Ebay, JL allways coming out cheaper. Go figure HUH. I know who got my buisness.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:04 AM

There is no duty on US made goods.
I don't think it costs anymore to ship to Vancouver as opposed to say Seattle.
Sure, the first thing the manager will tell you that he has to use up his stock first. The reality is that no one, retailer or wholesaler carries six months worth of stock. They can't afford to.

The bottom line is the huge increase in our dollar has made huge profits to those who do not pass along the savings.

BTW, I was in Restorations Hardware today and I noted that almost everyone was questioning the pricing due to the fact that our dollar is worth a hell of a lot more.
We should too, eh!
Old 10-28-2007, 06:07 AM

Oh yes, examples.

I bought food priced at $12.00 for $7.00
A mag priced at $5.50 for $3.99

Obviously, I can't walk into a Big Al's store in the US so I went online to compare their pricing in Canada and the US on a product that I chose randomly. (I think they are US made)
Big Al's US price OSI spirulina pellets 12 oz $7.49
Big Al's Canadian price same product $19.98

J&L Two Little Fishes Green Veggies 30 grams $6.95
Big Al's US online same product 1 oz $3.99

Quite a savings, eh

Just ask!

Last edited by naesco; 10-28-2007 at 06:59 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 10-28-2007, 06:40 AM

Drock169 is on a distinguished road

Just to let you know it does cost more to ship to Vancouver as opposed to seattle. Shipping internationally always costs more, as working for Canada post has taught me.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:47 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

The prices ought to be somewhat higher in Canada for the obvious reasons: shipping costs, brokerage fees and fewer economies of scale. A reasonable cost differential might be 10% to 20% above U.S. prices, anything more than that seems like gouging.

As far as retailers selling stock they bought months ago with a cheaper Canadian dollar, I thought most retailers paid their suppliers 60 or 90 days after they received the goods. I am not in retail so if I am wrong here someone correct me.

If there are retailers in Vancouver who give in to demands to match U.S. prices please let us know who they are.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:56 AM

fishmaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
There is no duty on US made goods.
I don't think it costs anymore to ship to Vancouver as opposed to say Seattle.

******Not all good imported from the US are made in the US and some products still have dutys. It does cost way more to ship across the border.********

Sure, the first thing the manager will tell you that he has to use up his stock first. The reality is that no one, retailer or wholesaler carries six months worth of stock. They can't afford to.

******Uhh...not all retailers and distributors are broke! The fact is, in order to get volume discounts, shipping breaks & assure they'll get the product, vendors & distributors often have to book well in advance. Often times they have to order more than they can sell in the short term the get the right price.*********

The bottom line is the huge increase in our dollar has made huge profits to those who do not pass along the savings.

******Don't get me wrong, some businesses are taking advantage. But, I think most of the vendors on this site are doing a good job of being competitive. Not to mention top notch customer service. Try and get something shipped overnight from the US...or really any service.*********

BTW, I was in Restorations Hardware today and I noted that almost everyone was questioning the pricing due to the fact that our dollar is worth a hell of a lot more.
We should too, eh!
******My coments are surrounded by asterisk*******

Last edited by fishmaster; 10-28-2007 at 07:03 AM.