Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-25-2002, 09:16 PM

Jack is on a distinguished road
Default Live rock

Hey guys, another question [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] lol

I was thinking about getting 100lbs of live rock from JL, is their rock good? I'm just going to be restarting my 120 gallon FO because I want a true reef tank. Would it be better to put in 50lbs on two seperate times? I mean, let the first batch cycle, then add some more? Would that way minimize die off? I am just worried about how high the ammonias might get with 100 pounds of rock all in at one time, know what I mean?

Also would it be better to get 50lbs on two differnt occasions? would that give me more variety and diversity? What about getting some from a different place, like victoria?

Just a few qestions to keep you guys busy... lol
thanks
Old 01-25-2002, 09:36 PM
Administrator

titus has disabled reputation
Default Live rock

Hello,

Due to our limited selection in Canada, I haven't been buying rocks from anyplace other than JL and Big Als. Out of the two places, JL's rocks are as good as it gets, from what I know.

If I'm you, I'll talk to JL ordering 100lbs of rock, to get any discounts that they may provide, but pick them up on two or more different occasions. So yes, this will minimize die off and prevent any spikes. Afterall, if you have no rocks in your tank then you'll be going through some cycling there. Try getting like 40lbs on the first time, then 60lbs on the second time. Note that you can add more rocks per occasion as your tank is stocked up. Make sure you monitor ammonia, nitrite, nitrate (all those good stuff), and perform water change when needed.

Also, prior to the addition, make sure you have a few powerheads in the tank, and a good size skimmer. And please, just my personal opinion, no Berlin or Prism (is that how you spell it?) or PM HOT-1 or Remora or Urchin here. These may work after the cycling but not during the cycling. Afterall, go check out the size of the skimmer JL uses to cure two small tanks of rocks and you'll know what I mean.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:01 PM

Troy F is on a distinguished road
Default Live rock

I'd add it all at once. Yes you'll go through the cycle and yes you'll have die off but if you put in two large quantities of live rock on seperate occassions you'll have two cycles anyway. Everything that made it through the first cycle will have to try living through a second and you'll have considerable die off again.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:16 PM

Dale D is on a distinguished road
Default Live rock

I agree with Troy. Put it all in at once or you will just have 2 cycles. I you have ever smelt rock curing you do not want to put yourself throught it twice.

You do not "need" a "big" skimmer on the tank during curing. I run a Berlin on the curing tank at work and you should see the crap that it pulls out. The foam blows the top off the skimmer. Any skimmer is better than nothing. In a tank with curing live rock you could stick your ass in it and fart and you would get foam. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

And no I have not tried this. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2002, 10:31 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default Live rock

I agree with adding it all at once. You can minimze die-off with water changes and skimming.
I got some rock from Seacare recently and the quality was great.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:43 PM
Administrator

titus has disabled reputation
Default Live rock

Hello,

Yes a small skimmer would pull out a lot of dirt, but a large skimmer would pull out even more dirt.

I'd assume that it's going to take about the same time to cure whether you have a lot or little rocks. But less die off for sure if you have less rocks to begin with, and the second cycle won't be as bad since you will have some rocks in it from the first batch. However, getting in two occasions give you the opportunity of getting rocks from different locations so maybe slightly better bio diversity.
Old 01-26-2002, 12:19 AM

terryp01 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to terryp01
Default Live rock

Another secret to quickly curing rock is by getting about 5-10 gallons of water from a friends tank. This has most of the bacteria that you need to break down the components from cycling the rock.

I have found that using a couple of large pumps rather than powerheads works better. The more water movement the better. Also, don't use the lights on the tank/curing tank for the first 3-4 days due to algae bursts.

I agree with Titus, the bigger skimmer you have the better it will work.

Take a look at ShadeTree's home page and get a look at that PVC pipe setup, something like that with a submersible pump could really put some water movement on the rock.

Don't do any water changes until the readings are 0ppm, or very close.

Most of my rock will cure in 17 days using this method.

Hope it helps.
Old 01-26-2002, 05:57 AM

Jack is on a distinguished road
Default Live rock

Thanks a lot guys for the advice. Makes my decisions less stressful, lol. But seriously, it's great to have a bunch of feed back and advice. I think I will purchase some live rock once I get my sump configuration setup in about a month.