Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-05-2007, 02:38 AM

bv_reefer is on a distinguished road
Post corallife skimmer

hello i'm starting to consider getting a new skimmer in another month or two, and was wondering if it would be worth my money to get a corallife for 65gallons to replace my seaclone 150, or would it be much better to go for a corralife for 125 gallons, again this is for a 33 gallon tank, so the real question is would the corallife 65-gallon be an improvement from a seaclone 150-gallon?

My reef~http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...-/P4300459.jpg
Old 09-05-2007, 03:07 AM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

i would look into some other brands if your gonna upgrade. ive had a coralife 125 and 220 and the 125 would overflow unexpectedly once in a while and im just not happy with the 220 just because of how well it works in the area of my sump that dosent have a consistant water level.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:11 AM

Chowder is on a distinguished road

I would use the money to get a better used skimmer.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:13 AM

Static is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Static

I have the 65 and maintaining a consistent water level is crucial for it to work. In reality it probably only works for a bout half a day at a time, right after I top up. If you have it installed in a sump, or have an auto top off, then it should work better.

I've still been fairly happy with my 65, it's on a 20gal tank, with only a clown, and yellow tail damsel, and it's able to keep up with that bioload fairly well.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:38 AM

well i'm currently looking around for a good used one, but if i don't find any i think i'll jst go for the 65 because it's a soft coral tank so it doesn't need amazing skimming really. hey what do you meen by it overflows once in a while for the 125-gallon model?

Old 09-05-2007, 04:04 AM

Static is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Static

If you get behind on your maintenance the venturi that draws air into the pump can get clogged with salt creep, and the pump will draw only water and become far more efficient. Next thing you know the water level in your skimmer rises, and can easily overflow the collection cup.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:19 AM

ya thats one thing i've read about the coralife super skimmers, alot of maintenance, but thats ok i work on my tank everyday so whats an extra 20 minutes for some quick skimmer maintenance every couple of days, anyways thanks alot for the quick replys

Old 09-05-2007, 04:39 AM

Chowder is on a distinguished road

I found the salt creep on the 65's in the air intake worse. They seem to clog up once every month where the 125 about every three months.Not sure about the 220's never owned one. I do like the 125 over the 65 though.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:02 AM

i was looking at a coralife 65-gallon model today at the lfs skimming an anemone tank and the skimmate seemed to be popping up the collection cup at a pretty steady rate, the stuff in the cup was brownish/black, and the skimmer in general seemed to be producing way more air bubbles than a seaclone, so thats one thing that caught my eye on the 65 model..

Old 09-05-2007, 12:52 PM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

i woke up a couple mornings with the collection cup full and 20g of saltwater in my carpet.