Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-03-2007, 08:29 AM

Sebae again is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 30 second Ultralith challenge

Ever ooh and ah over the corals in Ocean Aquatics display tank? I have .I walked in one day and noticed Harold squirt something into the tank and walk away. My first thought was that looked too easy so I asked Harold what he had put in the tank. He told me it was the Ultralith system and explained it to me in about all of 2 minutes. I thought if it can make their tank look like that ,it could surely do something for mine. At first the cost worried me but Harold assured me I didn't have to buy everything so I purchased the following;
Ultralith media $22.99 1 litre
Ultra-Bio $44.99
Ultra Bak $21.99
Ultra Min $22.99
total $112.96

The Ultra- bio will last me about 2months
the others will last me 5-6months
This is for my 90 gallon mixed reef tank 20 gallon sump

On a nightly basis I use 8 drops Ultra-Bio
5 drops Ultra Bak
5 drops Ultra Min
This takes no more than 30 seconds a night and costs about $30 a month

To start the system, I dumped out my phosphate reactor and added 1/2 litre Ultralith media and let that run at about 70 gallons/hr for1month. After 1month I added the other 1/2 litre. I'm aproaching 2months and everything is looking great.
noticable changes; - diatoms disappeared
- water be came crystal clear within 2 weeks
- had a small amount cryno -now gone
- only algea on glass but only because I dose pyto which easily comes of with a swipe of a Mag float
- Increased polyp extension and brighter colours in
acros
2weeks after doing water changes my tank looks like I've just cleaned it.My wife asks me why I do water changes when it looks so clean!
I don't use any carbon ,phosphate remover or,UV.I haven't done anything different in terms of maintenance . I have actually added 4 more fish to the tank and increased the feedings!
This has worked for me with these dosages and routine for my tank with a heavy bioload.
Do I recommend this? - Absolutely! / Reasonable cost?-Yes! /Easy-Yeah,30 seconds a day. You should check it out.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:29 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Interesting. I'll have to read up on this some more. Thanks for the info!

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 08-03-2007, 12:37 PM

surgeonfish is on a distinguished road

Sounds similar to Reef resh and Zeovite. There tends to be a lot of mixed opinion regarding how well these products work - mostly testimonials. I am glad it is working for you. I have tried the Reef resh for 2 months with no real improvements. Thanks for the info. I will also have to research it and may consider giving it a try. Hopefully, I will have similar results to yours.
cheers,
300 gal starphire custom built in pentagon reef (+90 gal sump on Blue Line 100 HD return pump, 210lb LR, Euro-Reef RC250 skimmer, 2x400W MH, 2x28W compacts, 2xTurbelle classic 4002 pumps & Turbelle Stream 6100 on 7095 Multicontroller, running ZEOvit)

Livestock
Fish: damsels; sailfin, yellow, regal & naso tangs; ocellaris & tomato clowns; lyretail anthias; foxface lo; flame angelfish
corals: a few
Old 08-03-2007, 01:37 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

Did you take some before and after photos Sebae? If so can you post them please?
Old 08-03-2007, 02:33 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

but yes its all works however, if you stop using it over a certain time. Your corals will react to in a negative display. like Zeo andthe other supplements. Just be careful with the stuff....
Old 08-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
but yes its all works however, if you stop using it over a certain time. Your corals will react to in a negative display. like Zeo andthe other supplements. Just be careful with the stuff....
False concerning Zeovit. I stopped dosing supplements at the store for two months a while back and the tank never declined. It didn't look as pretty, but it never regressed to a point worse than where it started.

It's kinda like using premium gas on your car. You don't need it, but your car sounds better, gets better mileage, and revs harder when you do use it. If you happen to stop, everything's back to normal again.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:07 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
I quit using reefresh after 2 months and my tank looked better, it took 6 months, but it definitely looked better then it did when i was using reefresh

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 08-03-2007, 03:43 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

a friend of mine in ontario , received a reef roids or something like the Zeo vits and he has a 1 months supplies that he won. after he found out the the 1 month supplies is only good for a 100 gal tank and he had a 180 gal tank and used it up fairly quick. But after he went thour it all the tank that he had crashed very badly.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:48 PM

Chowder is on a distinguished road

I have been using the Ultralith system for about 3 months now . I really like what I am seeing now in my tank. I find it a really easy dosing product and not to expensive at all. I started with the beginner kit OA offers for my 65 gallon about 80 g total volume .Instead of the bottle of bio I have the ampules and dose the whole thing once a week. After three months I am out of BIO but have half the bottles of BAk and MINS left. I would suggest if you are interested in trying it to read this thread. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1026821
It tells some of the problems people are having and how they fixed it and general posts of people who like it. I myself have had one problem where I was getting some hair algae starting in my main tank. I found out on the site you are not supposed to run a refugium on the system. Dumped the refugium and all the algae went away. I am pleased with the Ultralith system and what it has done for my tank. Sorry I have no photo's of my tank before and after.
Thanks , Chris
Old 08-03-2007, 04:33 PM

Mik_101 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by muck View Post
Did you take some before and after photos Sebae? If so can you post them please?
http://oceanaquatics.com/store/conte...oduct-Testing/

There are pictures of the tank and progression pictures and the ultrallith system Wendell uses.
- Green candy cane
- green zoas
- GSP
- Fake percula clown
- Diadem dottyback
adding a 70w MH with 8 LED