Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-29-2002, 09:02 PM

Bryan is on a distinguished road
Default Tunze Turbelle Stream

Anybody have one of these pumps or seen one in action. J & L is now stocking them. Was thinking of trying the reeftec, but after exchange, shipping, buying a pump, it's probably not that far off from the turbelle.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:55 PM

wayner is on a distinguished road

Bryan:

Go to Reef Central & do a search on Tunze Stream, there suppose to be amazing, but depending on the size of your tank may be too strong, the other thing is there not meant to be put on a wavemaker.

There coming out with smaller version in the new year, I beleive there's a guy on Reef Central with a 120 that finds it too strong, there's a model above the stream which comes with a controller where the flow can be controlled, but I think there alot more money.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:11 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

There is a lot of info in the vendor forum (Tunze) on RC
Old 01-03-2003, 10:58 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Thanks Brad. I just read most of it. Thinking of ordering the 6080 for my tank. Should be ok on a 6ft. 225g. Also, I have a GeoMarine crushed coral bed, instead of sand, about 2in. deep. That should withstand the force of the current.

A better question would be, what the heck the fish will think about 2000gph of water coming them?
Old 01-03-2003, 11:02 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I thinkmy fish will love it!! Maybe not the chromis so much, but the tangs fur sure!!
I still haven't decided on the 6080 or the 6110 kit. I like the idea of the variable speed.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:39 AM
Rest In Peace

Hi Brad,
I will answer your question from the other forum, over here. They look pretty impressive. Seems like they move a lot of water. I like the idea of them, for one main reason. I can go sumpless.

As I run a scrubber direct into the tank, the sump was just for my skimmer. I sold my beckett, so currently skimmerless. I create a pretty good current with my pumps though. I run a Mak4 return, which pumps from a 1in. outlet in one direction. I have another Mak4 on a closed loop, feeding a 1in. in the other direction. No powerheads. I have a 3MD, that I was thinking of adding on a closed loop, with the returns down behind the reef, with elbows flowing water under it and across the bed to the front.

However, those are 100w pumps as compared with the Tunze. I dont know the wattage, but assume its pretty low and moves as much water as both my Mak4 pumps.

I was thinking of the 6080 from one end and the scrubber surge on the other. Thats all I would use. I may even add a Tunze 230 skimmer{in the tank}, to assist the scrubber.

Just need to figure out how to plumb the reactor. :? I dont know if there would be much benefit in putting the stream pump on the end where my closed loop is and leaving everything else the same. {6080 on one end & the Mak4 return on the other, except a small power saving as the pair of Mak,s create a good current.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:47 AM
Just a guy..

Thanks Doug. On the power thing, I believe the 6080 consumes 14 or 18w...it's listed on the Tunze site.
My only concern is whether a one-sided flow pattern would affect the SPS and force them to grow sideways!
I have to give serious thought to the 6110 kit, as that one has a variable speed and can be pulsed with the controller.
One of the SPS keepers on this forum bought one, so I'm hoping a review is forthcoming
I'll probably drop in at J&L on Monday, so if they have any instock, I'll see if they'll drop one in a tank for a demo!!
Old 01-04-2003, 01:05 PM
Rest In Peace

8) 18watts and over 2000gph. Thats reason enough alone. Going to have a look at the 6110 kits today.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:18 PM
Rest In Peace

:shock: $500 for a single controller. Plus the pump, makes about $800.
Old 01-04-2003, 03:44 PM

stephane is on a distinguished road

I look at them my self but they are to pricy$ and on ting that bug me is the motor is still in the tank like a power head and Im afraid to found
sand every were that southound is realy easy to get all over the place

Tank picture update sept 2004