Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-26-2007, 04:56 PM

Pier Pressure is on a distinguished road
Default White Sebae Anemone and Red Open Brain Coral in Love?

Just as the title says, my anemone has set up shop next to my open brain coral and I was afraid the brain might get stung. I moved the brain sideways so that the anemone could not reach it, and inside of one day the anemone grabbed it and turned it right back the other way so that it could touch the brain. No damage is apparent on the open brain.

Because I have read that the white sebae anemone stings, should I move the open brain to the other side of the tank? Will the anemone just follow it?
Old 04-26-2007, 05:23 PM

andsoitgoes is on a distinguished road

Anemones are notorious for wandering wherever they want to go, mine do - and I think it's generally to get better flow, light, or to sting a nice coral they want to eat

Either way - it'll do major damage to your brain, suggest you move it ASAP if you don't want to have wasted a fair deal of $$ on it.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:10 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Sebaes are sand dwelling anemones. It is probably liking the shape of the brain's skeleton for hiding it's foot, which is why it is "in love" with your brain. If there's no other choice, place your brain up on the LR structure carefully for a few days until the anemone settles in somewhere. Find a small curved piece of LR & set it so the anemone has a small cave to hide its foot. Unfortunately, brown sebaes are the ones you should have looked at getting because the white sebaes are ones that have expelled most of their symbiotic algae spores due to stress & have a very low survival rate.

Good luck,

Anthony
Old 04-26-2007, 06:55 PM

Thanks, guys! Of course I bought the anemone from an LFS, and was told that it would do fine in my tank and not hurt anything. I shall move my brain to the other side of the tank as soon as I get home. The problem is that the brain is already attached to a small piece of live rock that is hard to place. Everywhere else I put it the darn hermit crabs knock it down. I will figure something out.

I have noticed that the aneome is not really a nice white color anymore and is turning kind of a beige. Maybe it is dying? It is still very large and feeding constantly.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:57 PM

Phanman is on a distinguished road

If its turning baige then its actually getting more healthy. It was bleached out before from what i hear.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:52 PM

Sweet! Just my luck I lose most of my livestock but my stinging pain in the butt anemone is going to live forever. It is probably so healthy from damaging my brain, though I cannot see any damage on the brain yet.