Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-11-2007, 04:44 PM

andsoitgoes is on a distinguished road
Default Help with brakes in BC! :(

So - we need to replace the front pads and machine the rotors for our 2004 sienna, and I'm trying to find a combo between cost and quality - Does anyone know somewhere reliable but reasonable in the Fraser Valley??

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've been quoted at about 230 to replace pads and machine the rotors, I know that's not too expensive, but we're trying to put money toward other things (like a house )

Thanks in advance all!!
Old 04-11-2007, 05:49 PM

Phanman is on a distinguished road

if you can find a friend to change the pads its quite easy $25ish for a set of pads, or do it yourself. then machining the rotors are usually like $80 which you will need to do at a shop. Just remember to bleed the brake if you open it up
Old 04-11-2007, 06:17 PM

BMW Rider is on a distinguished road

$230 is pretty reasonable. Aside from DIY, I doubt its going to get much cheaper. Good quality metalic pads for almost anything will run from $50 - $150. Sometimes machining rotors is false economy too. Most have such minimal material that once machined they are at the minimum thickness and become quite prone to warping. You may want to jsut price out replacements which are often not much more than the cost of machining.

Ed
60 gallon winter tank for pond fish.
300 gallon pond with waterfall.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:58 PM

Ticketyboo is on a distinguished road

Give me a shout if you need help changing the pads, i can also look at the rotors and if they do need machining, just nip to the local store to have them machined... no need to machine them just for the sakes of it... i find alot of garages charge for this and the rotors really dont need them.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:10 PM

fishmaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticketyboo View Post
Give me a shout if you need help changing the pads, i can also look at the rotors and if they do need machining, just nip to the local store to have them machined... no need to machine them just for the sakes of it... i find alot of garages charge for this and the rotors really dont need them.
Exactly. If the pads are not worn down to metal(making grinding or squeeling noise), they likely dont need turning. If they're smooth, and don't have any obvious grooves in them or are not warped, they're fine. I changed my own brakes in my old bronco many times and didn't often need to machine the rotors. Every brake shop will want to machine or replace your rotors because they want your money. That being said, if you are unsure of what you are looking at, make sure someone who does(ticketyboo perhaps) helps you.
Shaun.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Banned

demon666 is on a distinguished road

230 is really cheap i payed 850 to have mine done..... but i replaced the callapers too
Old 04-11-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon666 View Post
230 is really cheap i payed 850 to have mine done..... but i replaced the callapers too
$850 for a sienna? Or $850 for an 1 tonne dully deisel oil riggin type truck?
Old 04-11-2007, 07:19 PM

andsoitgoes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmaster View Post
Exactly. If the pads are not worn down to metal(making grinding or squeeling noise), they likely dont need turning. If they're smooth, and don't have any obvious grooves in them or are not warped, they're fine. I changed my own brakes in my old bronco many times and didn't often need to machine the rotors. Every brake shop will want to machine or replace your rotors because they want your money. That being said, if you are unsure of what you are looking at, make sure someone who does(ticketyboo perhaps) helps you.
Shaun.
Unfortunately it's down to metal on metal - and has been for a week or so. It's pretty rough - we thought it was a mechanical issue, but nein.

From here on out though I'm going to get the pads and do it regularly, I'm just concerned that we've already gone through one set within 42k - seems a bit off, but it might just be my experience, who knows. Back breaks are at 70% still

I think I'm going to just have Toyota do the works and toss in a clean/reseat of the rear brakes, 305 for everything and then I have the security. I'd be more akin to DIY if my girls weren't involved - but since they are, that is where my concern lies...
Old 04-11-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
Unfortunately it's down to metal on metal - and has been for a week or so. It's pretty rough - we thought it was a mechanical issue, but nein.

From here on out though I'm going to get the pads and do it regularly, I'm just concerned that we've already gone through one set within 42k - seems a bit off, but it might just be my experience, who knows. Back breaks are at 70% still

I think I'm going to just have Toyota do the works and toss in a clean/reseat of the rear brakes, 305 for everything and then I have the security. I'd be more akin to DIY if my girls weren't involved - but since they are, that is where my concern lies...
Well, if it's that bad, $300 for Toyota to do it is a good deal. Once you let it get metal on metal, you can run into allot more problems. Most brake pads come with squeelers(if thats the right word) build in the pad to warn you that your brakes are done. As soon as you hear them squeel, have a look to see if there is any meat on the pads. Sometimes a pebble or some grit gets in there and makes some noise, so a quick inspection will tell you if they're worn out or not. And it's totally normal for you're rear brakes to outlast you fronts.
Shaun.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:50 PM

BMW Rider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post

Front brakes on most vehicles will wear faster than the rears since the fronts do the majority of the braking. The weight on the front end and the weight transfer under braking are the major reason for that. Your mileage, 42K, is not unusual for brakes to wear out depending on the driving conditions. All city driving in stop and go conditions will use them up quickly. If you truly are at metal-on-metal, expect to replace the rotor(s). That may not be included in the cost they are quoting you. With minimal wear limits on the rotors, it will be quickly ruined when the pads wear to the metal backing.

As for not turning the rotors, that is OK but far from ideal. There is a lot more to it than just the surface finish and trueness. It would be impossible to get a highly accurate measure of the rotors trueness anyway. Even minor variances will reduce the life of the new pads as they must wear in to match the rotor. During that wear in period, braking will be reduced due to incomplete pad to rotor contact, The rotors will also be impregnated with the old lining material. The new pads need to have a clean fresh surface to embed their own material into to create the greatest braking efficiency. A polished rotor may not ever let the pads properly seat reducing braking and creating squealing.

You are wise to consider your families saftey in having the brakes done properly. Brakes are no place to go cheap.

Ed
60 gallon winter tank for pond fish.
300 gallon pond with waterfall.