Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 03-28-2007, 03:48 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road
Default My new CL intake screens

I had to improve my CL intake screens for a few reasons. The Darts pulling 3000+ gph through the 2" intake created some pretty good suction through the existing screen. I thought that might be dangerous. The existing screen was not fine enough to filter out small sand. Sand particles were getting through to the OM-4ways...wearing them and sometimes jamming them.

Here's my solution.

I got some 2" intake screens from AquaticEco.com. The first thing I did was shorten the stem so that they screen would sit closer to the bulkhead.

I also took a 2" close nipple, and turned it into an extremely close nipple!

The front part of the screen is held fast by 8 plastic clips. It's clearly pressure fit during construction. By cutting 6 of those, the end piece can be removed with a little flexing, but still holds good when installed.

Using scissors, I trimmed a block of foam to fit inside the screen.

Finally, to remove any chance that the foam can be sucked into the plumbing, I put a small square of eggcrate at the bottom.

Here's the end result.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 03-29-2007, 07:27 AM

Jaws is on a distinguished road

Very clean looking. Nice work.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:14 PM

kwirky is on a distinguished road

how much do those cost?
Old 03-29-2007, 06:53 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

The only place I could find them was aquaticeco.com...The 2" versions I needed are $5.71US (min 4 for that price). By the time I shipped them here with taxes, I bet I paid about $12 CDN each.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 03-29-2007, 08:20 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Awesome job.

One thought though, do you really feel the foam is necessary? Those are going to get gross on you in short order and you'll find yourself cleaning them more often than not. .... Oh.. Ok I re-read your post and see that the reason is because you want the intakes to not pull in sand. How low are your CL intakes? I'm doubly worried now that you're going to find the foam constantly full of crud. I'll take a look at your tank thread again to see where these are, I'm guessing having the CL intakes in your overflow isn't an option anymore at this point?