Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-27-2007, 02:39 AM

Beverly is on a distinguished road
Default Thinking of a Lifestyle Change

We've been keeping finches and reefs for about ten years. Chris and I talked about the possibility of selling our 120g reef and all related equipment (tons of stuff!!!) as well as our aviary and finches. We think that we could use the change to our lives, to give us more free time and to not have to feed anyone but ourselves daily.

Don't get me wrong, though. We have thoroughly enjoyed these past ten years with our unusual pets. Our reef is doing very well now that I have gotten the chemistry thing into my head. Some corals have been with us for four years and their growth has been phenomenal. Our GBTA and RBTA live in harmony in the same rock structure and it's a joy to watch our pair of ocellaris clowns swim back and forth between the two.

As for our finches, well, we have a custom made walk-in aviary that currently houses seven finches of various species, mainly African waxbills. They sing frequently, and I'm sure we'll miss their songs, but I'm also sure someone will step up to give them a good home, if that is the direction we finally choose.

I have not posted our 120g in the FS section yet, mostly because there too many items, like 10 pails of salt, new MH and PC bulbs, lots of small tanks, heaters and powerheads. We would want the entire tank, stand, lighting and livestock to go in one piece, along with all the extra kibbles and bits.

Anyway, we have not fully decided on our course of action yet, but we seem to be leaning toward making the change.

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 03-27-2007, 03:57 AM

GrimReefer is on a distinguished road

why do you have to get rid of everything at once? you could do a fish-less nano that wouldn't require significant maintenance. then again, if you don't enjoy spending time with your reef, then there's not much point.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:17 AM
Banned

andresont is on a distinguished road

Oh NO !
Old 03-27-2007, 01:22 PM

Justusfish is on a distinguished road
Default Change

Emily, change is a healthy thing and it might open up a lot of other great possibilities you hadn't even thought of.

As long as you find great homes for your little creatures, you may be able to do a total life make-over.

I always say do what feels good.

I'm sure it's a tough decision though!!
210gal tank, mega flow#4 sump 30gal, Euroreef RS250, 1/2 horse chiller, lifeguard 40watts uv sterilizer,poseidon ps4 external pump,24" plexi refugium with pump and light, 2 rio pumps 3100,72" 72" PFO Solaris-I4 15K LED Lighting Fixture. Tunze wavebox. Precision Marine calcium reactor for up to 400gal,with about 200lb of figi live rock, bare bottom
Old 03-27-2007, 02:55 PM

briansmyth is on a distinguished road
Default Big change

Going from something to not at all seems like a big change; would there be room for the idea of keeping one bird in a cage and a nano tank, perhaps?
Old 03-27-2007, 03:16 PM

Veng68 is on a distinguished road

Good luck with whatever you do

The videos you posted were very cool

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]
Old 03-27-2007, 03:21 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

I learned a lot from you teachings when I first started out last year. Pets are a lot of work, I understand your motivations.

As others have mentioned, a small little nano-cube would still give you a bit of reef keeping without all the work.

I keep a little 5 gallon FW tank on my desk and it is very little work but brings me and my coworkers a lot of joy during the day.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 03-28-2007, 01:11 AM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

Appreciate the comments and suggestions from everyone

The more I think about it, a clean break and down a completely different road is where we are headed. It actually feels good to be on the other side of the decision, though when time comes to part with my friends, I'm going to be very sad.

I have already started down the new road. It's a good road, with plenty of creative stuff to keep me challenged. I'm going to continue making videos, this time of the little fuzzy toys I've been collecting. The first one I made is on youtube.com, and some of you have already seen it. For those that haven't.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCTwrqC176w

I will be creating stories in the new videos for my 21 month old granddaughter who has life-threatening allergies to milk, eggs and peanuts, with less severe allergies to a few other very common food products. Good thing she loves vegetables, fruit and meats of all kinds.

Anyway, shortly, I will post my system and livestock for sale, and hope it will be bought by one person to avoid the hassle of parting it out. PM me if you'd like to stop by and see everything. I'll be happy to give you a guided tour

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 03-28-2007, 01:42 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Mom you can't get out of the hobby who will i bug when i have a problem...

Follow your heart.

Michael
Old 03-28-2007, 01:47 AM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

I used to keep Shaftails and Zebras as well as Cordon Bleu's. I loved their singing especially the Shaftails.

What ever you decide we all wish the best for you and hope you'll keep in touch if for no other reason to let us know what freedom is like.

Doug