Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-23-2007, 05:35 PM

marcingo is on a distinguished road
Default What does everyone think of T5's for reefs

Hey everyone.

I had 2 150 watt DE MH on my 21 inch tall tank. One of the ballasts broke. Anyway I have recently started reading about HO T5 systems. Basically what I am looking at is a 8x 39 watt setup for my 4 foot tank. Anyone have any experience with HO T5. Also just a note the T5 I am planning on getting has individual reflectors for each bulb. Would I be better off get getting a new ballast for my existing MH or would the T5 do a similar or even better job? Its tough to get a concrete answer from the internet since most information is just biased on personal preference. Also with the T5 what would be the best bulb setup?- I would definitely like 1 or 2 actinics for color.

As a sidenote I am keeping things like torch, zoos, palys, mush, and would like to keep some lps as well.

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:54 PM

findingnemo1 is on a distinguished road

I am currently running 12 39 watt t5's in individual reflectors and really like them. My anemones have definetly gotten bigger and have not moved since i put them on the tank. You could easlit land a plan in my living room. Soft corals do great and i am just getting into sps and they have all held there colour. They are much more cooler temperature wise as compared to metal halides. I have mine about 6-7 inches of the tank in an eclosed hood and the temp stays pretty stable a 80. We are going to halides now not because of the way the work but because the wife likes the "shimmer"

But i have on there 4 super whites,4 aqua blue specials and 4 blue plus. And that gives off the right amount of blue as i like the blue look but not blueberry look. And with that i have not had to add the actinics.

My opinion cheap to do it yourself,cheap on the power bill and heat in the tank and they provide great growth.

I have attached a link of a tank that is only under t5's
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...totm/index.php

Craig
Old 03-23-2007, 05:54 PM

kwirky is on a distinguished road

my tank's 48x24x24 and I keep lps and softies and such, and my 8 bulb 4' light fixture is more than adequate. I'm planning for some sps this summer because the upper regions of the tank are a no-fly zone for the softies, it's so bright. I'm quite satisfied with T5 bulbs. I have the sunlight supply Tek light fixture.

I'd recommend making sure you have two separate ballasts, because I had to change my lighting schedule to 12 hours actinic and 9 hours bright.

Also, we're gonna be getting the Korallen Zucht bulbs in canada very soon. Been reading bout them for a bit, and it seems some people in europe are going to T5 and never going back because of these bulbs. The pictures are outright amazing
Old 03-23-2007, 06:11 PM

Sounds great. What I wanted to hear. Do you think brand name of the fixture makes a big difference? I have found these for 249 for a 8x39watt in edmonton but Im guessing its not a well known brand name. Also would anyone know where I might be able to compare prices with brand name stuff.

Thanks

http://www.aquagiant.com/product_inf...roducts_id/971
Old 03-23-2007, 08:44 PM

I don't recommend that one. It doesn't have individual parabolic reflectors. For T5 to be worth it, each bulb needs it's own reflector, and they're usually about 2.5" wide each.

If you're looking for a budget fixture, you could go with a sunlight supply new wave fixture. They're new and aimed to be a little lower budget. They only have a single ballast though, and the 48" 8 bulb units are hard to find.

if you're looking for prices, check j&l http://www.jlaquatics.com, and call Gold's aquariums. Even better, go in and talk to Albert personally. Gold's usually has great prices, only you have to wait sometimes if they have to order it. Great service there. Highly recommended. *thumbs up*
Old 03-23-2007, 09:04 PM

mr_alberta is on a distinguished road

For T5's you can talk to Ryan over at ReefWerkz. He hooked my up with my TekLight fixture on my nano.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:50 PM

Bartman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcingo View Post
I have found these for 249 for a 8x39watt in edmonton
If you have a 4' tank I would go with the 54W bulbs instead of the shorter 39W units.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the advice. I went to take a look at that unit and was very dissapointed. The only one he had running barely lit up a fresh water tank. When I talked to him on the phone he told me each bulb had an individual reflector but when I got there it didnt- maybe thats why the light was so dim on it.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:31 PM

they might be normally driven too (NO), and not high output (HO). I've got a coralife aqualight NO T5 light for my FW tank. It's two NO bulbs sharing a reflector packed together, and it's not much light.

When you finally see a proper HO driven T5 light with parabolic reflectors, you'll be amazed at it's brightness.

sorry bout recommending gold's. thought you were in calgary. J&L's a good place to order stuff from. I've gotten quite a bit from there.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:45 PM

no problem. It might have been normal driven but I also asked if it was HO T5 and he assured me it was. Would the NO t5 be thin bulbs as well? because these were pretty thin.