Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-26-2002, 04:59 PM

Son Of Skyline is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Son Of Skyline Send a message via MSN to Son Of Skyline
Default Painting canopy interior/back glass?

I'm thinking of painting the inside of my canopy white and the back pane of glass a light blue. Does anybody have any suggestions on what type of paint I should use? Is regular bathroom/kitchen paint good enough for the canopy? I don't want to use the wrong paint and end up having it contaminate my tank. Thanks in advance
Old 11-26-2002, 06:03 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I used melamine paint for my first canopy. It worked OK but since it was particle board the board itself didn't hold up too well over time to the increased humidity. If I were to do that again I'd just go straight to a marine paint.

Just speculating here, but I think anything oil based will be OK for the inside of the canopy... Latex based may not hold up to the humidity over time. I think ultimately, your best bet will be a white marine paint (basically the paint you would use to paint a boat hull). Or maybe some kind of pool paint (?)

As for the light blue on the back of the tank ..... if you paint the outside of the tank then I doubt it really matters what kind of paint you use. Spray paint enamel maybe, or latex, or oil, or whatever you prefer to work with.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Son Of Skyline Send a message via MSN to Son Of Skyline

Thanks Delphinus. Do you have any idea where I can get marine paint? Is it something I can just pick up at Home Depot or something?

Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus
I used melamine paint for my first canopy. It worked OK but since it was particle board the board itself didn't hold up too well over time to the increased humidity. If I were to do that again I'd just go straight to a marine paint.

Just speculating here, but I think anything oil based will be OK for the inside of the canopy... Latex based may not hold up to the humidity over time. I think ultimately, your best bet will be a white marine paint (basically the paint you would use to paint a boat hull). Or maybe some kind of pool paint (?)

As for the light blue on the back of the tank ..... if you paint the outside of the tank then I doubt it really matters what kind of paint you use. Spray paint enamel maybe, or latex, or oil, or whatever you prefer to work with.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:00 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

I think so, or at least at a paint supply store. You could also get it of course at a boating supply store, but I would think it's probably at a premium at those places.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:32 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

I use Beauti-tone acrylic latex semi-gloss enamal, on the sides and back of my tank. Its from Home Hardware. I dont have a hood, so cant help you there.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:04 PM

reefburnaby is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have used white polyurethane paint with my canopy, but it seems to change colour over time (i.e. turns yellow). I think this is related to the UV produced by the lamps. So, I will be trying aluminum foil lining next time.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:09 PM

Thanks everone. I just got back from Mills Paint (excellent customer service btw ) as I did a search and found out they sold marine paint. According to them however, marine paints contain fungicides and other nasty chemicals which harm aquarium animals, and should be avoided. He then went on to mention something called "potable water" which is supposed to be a paint used to line drinking water tanks and such which may be a better bet. I'm going to do some research now on this stuff.

I thought about lining the canopy with a reflective material as well, but the thought of all the work involved and the fact that I just read somewhere (here, RC...can't remember) that white would be the best for reflection.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:16 PM

Huh. I didn't realize boat paint would contain fungicide. I've heard of people mixing cayenne into their boat paint to keep the barnacles off but I didn't realize that the commercially available stuff would contain stuff already off-the-shelf. Sorry I gave you a bad tip then.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus
Sorry I gave you a bad tip then.
Dont be

I just did a search on RC and the same suggestion came up a couple times. It may be possible that marine paint is in fact safe for aquariums, but it's better safe than sorry I guess.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:33 PM

ranz is on a distinguished road
Default Marine enamel

I used marine enamel everywhere! no problems after nine months, I was under the understanding that it has bad chemicals for fungus but when it dry's it is inert.... The problem is! dont use it around your established tank, it has to cure well (3 days at least)

Ranzreefer.....