Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 03-14-2007, 07:23 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road
Default Does anyone use the AGA Megaflow sump

Seems like it might be a decent sump option for me. Wondering if there is anything good bad or otherwise about them, and if its all good who in Calgary carrys them at a fair price?

Greg

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 03-14-2007, 08:04 PM

StuartC is on a distinguished road
Smile MegaFlows sumps

Work great.
Bought a used one (Model 4) off Anthony a couple of weeks ago and was piece of cake to set up. Straight forward lay-out and plenty of room for skimmer/mods etc.
Last Sunday was by King Ed Pets (Bby) and they had new one with a very repairable small crack by the bioball chamber (4"x4" scrap of acrylic and some weld-on would do it) that they wanted $200 for (reg $399).
Not a bad deal and definitely think Eric could be bartered down given that it was damaged in transport (insurance)..
Old 03-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

I think you could do better with DIY. I know I can :P
Old 03-14-2007, 08:09 PM

My DIY skills are limited to changing the occasional light bulb and unclogging the dishwasher :O

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 03-14-2007, 08:11 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

A used tank and a few baffles would be about 10% more work for about 25% of the price.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:20 PM

One of the problems is that I am lilited by space. I am getting a 90g and have one of the AGA black vynl stands, the door on the front is olny about 18x18 so it is a tight fit. If I can find something maybe a little longer I could try to get it in the stand from the top, allthough there are cross braces on the stand limiting that. I was able to squeeze a rubbermaid container in the bottom due to the flexibility but I'm not sure if that is a good longterm solution. The other option I have is to place the sump outside the stand and then box it in after, the issue there is the hole is on the left side and the place where the tank needs to go would put the sump on the right and give about 6' of travel from the return pump back to the tank.

I can take pictures later if this helps?

Old 03-14-2007, 08:34 PM

I guess i have a lighting question too.. Have a PFO pendant with 2x24W Actinitcs and a 250W mogul MH that I plan to hang on the tank, do you think I will get enough light spread to cover the 48" tank?

Old 03-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkshiu View Post
A used tank and a few baffles would be about 10% more work for about 25% of the price.
There's a lot to be said about efficient reef sump design. IMO, the AGA does not have what it takes to be a hassle-free sump.

I've installed them before. They don't have:

High water level stability - this is due to the last baffle only being a paltry 4 - 5" high.

Ease of access - reduced by the bubble diffuser pipes and plate assembly. There's some pretty damn tight spaces on those sumps. What happens when a snail gets stuck? I'll tell you what happens, since I've had to remove them prior: You swear a lot and strain with ghetto tools like chopsticks and coat hangers.

Bioball chamber - must be removed. The spacing of that chamber limits you to one accessory/peice of equipment per compartment for a total of two meduim accessories.

Limited to internal pumps - you'll need to put further work into it if you have an external pump.

Yadda, yadda, yadda.

EDIT: Also, my personal opinion is that baffles have been outclassed by micron filter socks.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:05 PM

Albert,

What would your thoughts be on a rubbermaid ghetto sump with filter socks on the intake and skimmer outlet?

Cheap (which I need right now) and possibly very effective?

Greg