Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 03-08-2007, 01:11 AM

eddtango is on a distinguished road
Default Help Setup of 125g FOWLER

I'm going to set up a 125 gal FOWLER tank. I would like to know which equipment are essential for this setup. People told me to keep the setup simple,but how simple? Will LR and a good Protein skimmer do the job? Will I need Phosphate reactors? Sump suggestions? Can I use ordinary conditioned tap water?

Last edited by eddtango; 03-08-2007 at 01:11 AM. Reason: wrong value on gallons
Old 03-08-2007, 02:45 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

You don't need any reactors (phosphate or calcium) imo if you stick to fish only and no corals. You can skimp on light and get a cheap one. If your lights aren't hot then evaporation will be relatively low so an auto-top off isn't needed either (even if it would make life easier).

In a FOWLR, people like to put a lot of fish, so waste build up can be a problem. This is where a good skimmer is useful. Not absolutely necessary but nice to have no less. Keep an eye on nitrate too because this can go up fast. Some people like to use a mechanical filter to complement their skimmer but i just stuck to the latter. You can also use carbon too if you want. I do.

I like the look of just fish, LR and sand. the lr and sand is all the bio filtration you need. Sump helps, but I don't have one and many don't. Most beginners use tap water but this can lead to algae blooms. I think that if you have a few organisms to control algae then it would be okay.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinl View Post
You don't need any reactors (phosphate or calcium) imo if you stick to fish only and no corals. You can skimp on light and get a cheap one. If your lights aren't hot then evaporation will be relatively low so an auto-top off isn't needed either (even if it would make life easier).

In a FOWLR, people like to put a lot of fish, so waste build up can be a problem. This is where a good skimmer is useful. Not absolutely necessary but nice to have no less. Keep an eye on nitrate too because this can go up fast. Some people like to use a mechanical filter to complement their skimmer but i just stuck to the latter. You can also use carbon too if you want. I do.

I like the look of just fish, LR and sand. the lr and sand is all the bio filtration you need. Sump helps, but I don't have one and many don't. Most beginners use tap water but this can lead to algae blooms. I think that if you have a few organisms to control algae then it would be okay.
There are so many brands of skimmers. What brand (Coralife,Euroreef) is good for this setup? Is an Eheim Canister filter good for Mech. Filtration? I better scout around for those R/O units.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:59 AM

I have 2 - 2 x 96 watt Coralife 6700k w/c I plan to change to 10,000k and actinic. I think this will be enough light for a fowler. I also plan to install a sump under the tank so that I can put in my skimmer, heater and Bio-balls(Is this necessary?) I also intend to decorate the tank w/ artificial corals later.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:01 AM

calkrog is on a distinguished road

i just upgraded from a seaclone 100 skimmer, which worked, to a euroreef rc80, and man am i sorry i did not do it earlier. it rocks. and is priced very reasonably. (only about $30 more than i paid for the seaclone)
Old 03-08-2007, 05:20 AM

enough light? hehehe my friend, that is MUCH more than enough light. The only thing in a fowlr that is photosynthetic is the algae. If you stick to that lighting you could very well put in a few kinds of live corals later. Fish generally don't care much about light. Some fish/inverts prefer low light but it won't be a problem so long as they have holes/overhangs/crevices to hang around in to escape the light (stay away from the light!! ).

Some people have given bio-balls a bad rep because they think they produce a lot of nitrates. And they do, but only if you don't bother cleaning them once in a while. Once a month or so i think. I wouldn't use bioballs myself just because im too lazy and will forget to clean it. I don't think its really that necessary if you get a good skimmer. Even less necessary if you got a mechanical filter. If your filter has a place for bioballs and you decide against them, you can fill it with LR rubble or activated carbon.

think about how much maintenance you'll be doing on a regular basis for this tank and how much time you can afford to spend on it.

ive heard plenty good things about the later edtions of the eheim canisters. No experience with them myself though... anyone else got input?
Old 03-08-2007, 06:04 AM

Actually, I plan to put the Bio-balls in the sump, but if it will create more problems than good,then I'll just shelve the idea for now. A low maintenance FOWLR is what I want. I think I'll go with LR, skimmer and maybe a good canister filter. I might use the Coralife T5s for lighting,they're not as intense.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:11 AM

Is it better to have substrate or go BB(easier to clean)?
Old 03-08-2007, 06:30 AM

depends what you want. BB is easier to clean and seems to be the new in thing. I like my sand because it's aesthetically pleasing and acts as part of my bio filtration with my LR, even if it does mean some more maintenance.

If you go with sand I highly suggest some things to keep it stirred up and don't go for a deep sand bed because they require more work from you.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:25 AM

Raf is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Raf

Good advice given.

As for filters, pick one that is easy to maintain as the more frequent you service it, the cleaner it and you water will be, not to mentio lower DOC's and NO3. When using canisters, use lots of mech media, floss works well, remember to clean it or toss it as needed. A good skimmer is the best investment IMO for a FOWLR, especially on heavily stocked. Mine pulls out the nastiest crud you have ever smelt!

Good luck

220g FOWLR

Raf & Diana

Our Reef Tank:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...5&id=883435639

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aquat...es/46469801680

Our Photos:
Nikon D7000 DSLR w Nikkor 2.8d 60mm micro lens amongst others