Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 11-13-2002, 02:54 PM

PFisher is on a distinguished road
Default Glue and Sealant

I am currently building a skimmer using PVC pipe. I am almost ready to start glueing it together and am wondering if there is a problem with any glues or silicone sealants that are toxic to the fish.

Also, does anyone have a pump recomendation for my skimmer. It is a venturi style (24"x3") on a 25 gal tank.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:43 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Some silicones say not for use under the water line, or not for use on aquariums. Sometimes, the "kitchen and bath" caulks/silicones have some kind of anti-mildew agent, so you need to check the label. Basically if it doesn't say "don't use this under water" or "don't use this on aquariums" you should be fine. Let it cure for a day and it should be copesetic.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:40 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

look for 100% silicone.. if it has anything else.. don't use it..

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:54 PM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

What about the black silicone used by many aquarium manufacturers? Surely it can't be 100% silicone.

SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 11-14-2002, 11:55 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

er.. its 100% black silicone

I think I might have a tube of that around here.. I will try to findit and see what is on it

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:17 AM

I'm pretty sure that 100% silicone is clear - think breast implants , or the clarity of the silica shells encasing diatoms - and thusly, black silicone obviously has pigment added to it, and therefore isn't 100% silicone.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

Old 11-15-2002, 01:41 AM

Troy F is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian
I'm pretty sure that 100% silicone is clear - think breast implants ,...
All the ones I've seen have matched the skin pigment of the women they belong to...except for the aproximate center in which case they tend to darken.

lusus naturae
Old 11-15-2002, 02:21 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian
I'm pretty sure that 100% silicone is clear - think breast implants ,...
All the ones I've seen have matched the skin pigment of the women they belong to...except for the aproximate center in which case they tend to darken.
:shock:
Old 11-15-2002, 02:35 AM

I'd like to meet the surgeon who performed the procedures on the women you've seen Troy. While placing the implants on the exterior of the breast may, in fact, reduce the incidence of potentially dangerous leakage into the breast tissue, I would presume it would make reaching second base a little awkward, or at the very least surprising.

Old 11-15-2002, 02:41 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

So, PFisher, you can use anything that is 100% silicone.

Now somebody close this quick!!