Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-06-2007, 03:36 AM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer
Default Return Upgrade?

The overflows on both my recently moved and revamped FOWLR and Reef setups have slowed down to a trickle. I attribute this to increased head on each system as well as the inevitable growth within the return lines. I have concluded that the Aquaclear 901 powerheads I’m using for return pumps are inadequate. Therefore, I want to make the jump to a proper return pump for each system. “Jump to the pump”, if you will. Okay. Lame joke. Anyway, I have my eye on a Pentair Quiet One 6000 for each system. My linear overflow capacity for each tank measures 22”. This will allow 1450 GPH and a 6000 pushes 1506 GPH at 0 head. So I think this choice of pump will do the job. However, never having used this type of pump before (pump dummy here), I do have some questions and I’m hoping this site might provide some insight.

I am currently pushing my return water through ⅝” ID Fluval hose and I would like to continue using this hose. Is this advisable? Maybe this is the problem in the first place and I just need to get 1” hose? Is it possible to get a reducer fitting to reduce the 1” pump output down to ⅝”?

I am also concerned about the input. It appears on the Pentair website that this pump’s input is not screened. I do not see any such screen accessory available on their website. Do any Quiet One users out there know of such a thing?

Bottomline is I’m not sure how to go about connecting a return line to a Quiet One pump (I would prefer not to hard plumb) and I’m not sure about how to screen the input.

Thanx much,
Old 02-06-2007, 04:13 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

If you want to stay away fr hard, they make spaflex in 1" and fyi Quietone pumps are listed on RC's head loss calculator to compare flow, but only down to 3/4"
Old 02-06-2007, 12:27 PM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Spaflex. That's the ribbed stuff, right? Any tips on how to secure that firmly to the pump? I've heard hose clamps don't work too well on spaflex.

Thanx much,
Old 02-06-2007, 02:28 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Spaflex has so ribbing but think of it more as a thick wall, flexible PVC tubing.

To attach to pump would use a threaded (to the pump) to flip fitting.