Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 12-14-2006, 11:04 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road
Default 14k or 20k bulbs in calgary

Anyone know where i can get doubled ended 14k (or 20k) 150 watt double ended HQI bulbs in calgary?
I don't want the hassle of ordering them online right now with christmas crap delaying everything....

thanks guys

Old 12-14-2006, 11:25 PM

midgetwaiter is on a distinguished road

Check out the Aquaconnect bulbs at Gold's, the 14k is awesome. Really good colour and you don't sacrifice as much PAR as others. I've had mine for a week or so now and couldn't be happier.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
Check out the Aquaconnect bulbs at Gold's, the 14k is awesome. Really good colour and you don't sacrifice as much PAR as others. I've had mine for a week or so now and couldn't be happier.
Ok Will do...I was going to go with phoenix 14k's but i can't find them locally, and sometimes ordering online is a hassle. Now i need to find the right 24w pcs for this fixture and i'm set...the blue doesn't work for my eyes, maybe find something a little more purple...but then they might look better with the 14k bulbs. I left an email for albert asking if they had bulbs but no reply (he is a busy fellow) I like the store so i rather support them then an online store i've never ordered from, but i have heard so many good things about those phoenix bulbs. such is life i guess. Do you have any pics of your tank with those bulbs on it? I know it won't accuratly portray what there like, but it will give me an idea.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:39 PM

Hmm, learn something new everyday. Just checked out a few places for reviews and infos and well i'll be damned if everyone doesn't claim the Aquaconnect bulbs are very similiar I mean very similar to the Phoenix 14k's, being the only real difference is phoenix is de only...hmm. The only thing else everyone seemed to mention was the availability of the Aquaconnects is low..but that i have no idea about, just what seems to be mentioned evertime i look up these bulbs. But if they are in then i shall buy some

Old 12-15-2006, 12:49 AM

midgetwaiter is on a distinguished road

It's my understanding they are very similar as well which is surprising considering Phoenix is Japanese and AC German.

If you look at Sanjay's test data the PAR output on the ACs is pretty remarkable compared to other 14ks, I haven't found similar data on the Pheonix. The ACs are supposed to last longer as well while the Pheonix bulbs have a pretty bad rep in that regard. Considering the Pheonix is usually about $60 US and then you have shipping and exchange AC bulbs aren't much of a premium. If I get a chance to find some cheap I'll probably try them too though.

My camera is NFG and doesn't account for the blue very well automatically, I've been meaning to sit down and play with it but I haven't had time. Here's a pic of my BTA with the new bulb, you can see a little sliver of crocea in the top left corner as well.

Albert has one in a store fixture too so he can show you what it looks like. He had told me about it before and I was thinking about trying one but as soon as I saw it in person that was it.

I think my New Years resolution will have to include something about free advertising for the competition.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
It's my understanding they are very similar as well which is surprising considering Phoenix is Japanese and AC German.

If you look at Sanjay's test data the PAR output on the ACs is pretty remarkable compared to other 14ks, I haven't found similar data on the Pheonix. The ACs are supposed to last longer as well while the Pheonix bulbs have a pretty bad rep in that regard. Considering the Pheonix is usually about $60 US and then you have shipping and exchange AC bulbs aren't much of a premium. If I get a chance to find some cheap I'll probably try them too though.

My camera is NFG and doesn't account for the blue very well automatically, I've been meaning to sit down and play with it but I haven't had time. Here's a pic of my BTA with the new bulb, you can see a little sliver of crocea in the top left corner as well.

Albert has one in a store fixture too so he can show you what it looks like. He had told me about it before and I was thinking about trying one but as soon as I saw it in person that was it.

I think my New Years resolution will have to include something about free advertising for the competition.

ooh purty wish my clowns would host in something other than the powerhead...stupid fish

Old 12-17-2006, 04:26 AM

tomini is on a distinguished road

Just saw the 14k aquaconnect bulbs today at golds.They look great, really makes the flouresence pop out of the corals..pretty bright too. IME you dont even need to run atinics with these bulbs.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:50 AM

Yep i ordered two of them, also picked up two hamiltons 14k's, gonna look at them tomorrow...i dodn't feel ike moving my fixture and putting new ones in tonight. I still like 10ks with say 200+ watts of vho actinic suplamentation, but i sold my vho setup...guess i could have bought a cheper end t-5 actinic setup...hmm, now i have lots of bulbs..including two 10k's with only 3 or so months used on them

but i also ordered from golds, or at least he's going to try and get me 24 watt pc actinics bulbs, not the stpid blue 46 or whater that comes with this fixture...they are horrid.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:08 PM

SJSobczyk is on a distinguished road

Are these available in SE as well? If someone could also PM me with a price that would be cool.

Thanks

Steve
Old 12-17-2006, 04:14 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Yup, they are.

PM sent.