Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-05-2002, 03:40 AM

reefburnaby is on a distinguished road
Default Any interest for a PAR meter ?

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a PAR meter, but the cost is going to be pretty deep. There are a couple of choices for PAR meters. Let's start with the industrial standard : Licor.
http://env.licor.com/Products/li250/250.htm

This is expensive (about $1000), but it is the standard. Maybe I can get it used from somewhere... I would get the version that can measures underwater.

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody is interested in getting a PAR reading for their tank. Its not perfect (i.e. its not a light spectrometer...that's about $30K...sorry Titus). I would charge about a $1 per use (you can take unlimited measurements per use). As long as everybody is careful with it...I am sure I will recoup my costs in about 10 years [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

If there is enough interest, I'll inquiry about getting one. If not, when we have our tour of tanks day, I could rent one.

- Victor.
Old 01-05-2002, 04:12 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

hey Victor, if you look at apogee's web page they make a PAR sensor that you use a milti meter to read. the price is a lot lower also as it is just a sensor. I think Darren has already been in touch with them and is inquiring about it. I also found a link to the BC goverment and the built there own and they give you all the part #'s and the drawings to make it yourrself.

Apogee
how to make a PAR sensor

oh I would be interested in making a PAR sensor if anyone else would like to also.. would cut down on shipping of the photo diode and might drop the price as 1 to 9 is 24.00 us each and 10 to 19 are 13.00 each. there is also a cheeeper one that is 6.00 each but I have to read to see the dealon that one again.

Steve

[ 05 January 2002: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]
Old 01-05-2002, 04:13 AM
Administrator

titus has disabled reputation

Hello Victor,

How about you tell me the exact model you want and I'll see if I can get it cheaper. No promise and gurantees.
Old 01-05-2002, 02:27 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Steve, what part of Gov't made the meter? I'm with Environment, so if it was them, I may be able to borrow it.
Old 01-05-2002, 02:51 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

hey Brad it was prepared by

Peter Fielder
B.C.Ministry of Forests
Research Branch
712 Yates Street
Victoria,BC

so he might know how to geat ahold of tthem.. they bult 40ish I think and it looks like they might have been building more. there average cost to build one was 45.00 maybe they might sell a couple? who knows..

Brad send me a e-mail with yyour phone # I am going out this afternoon if you are not busy maby we can test this ph with your tester.

Steve
stircrazy@shaw.ca