Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-21-2002, 04:49 AM

myinfo is on a distinguished road
Default Help on Little Giant

Hi:

My Little Giant 4MDQ-SC die on me this morning,luckly I have another Little Giant 4MDQ-SC.

My question is that I can still hear the pump humming but no water coming out. What would be the problem, is it worth fixing it? I think I need to sendit back to U.S.

Thanks
Old 10-21-2002, 05:02 AM

Troy F is on a distinguished road

Have you cleaned it lately?

lusus naturae
Old 10-21-2002, 05:33 AM

Canadian Man is on a distinguished road

Cleaning would be a good thing to do, if you have not done it in a while.

The Impeller can become coated with a calcium carbonate coating which can cause seizing or slowdown of the pump.

You dont hear of little giants now working very often!
Tough pump
-----------------------------------
www.cakerybakery.ca
Old 10-21-2002, 05:34 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Where are you located? Little Giant has authorized service depots in several cities. There may be one in your area. Worth looking into...

PS. But, before sending it anywhere or taking it to a service rep, I'd open it and see if there is the calcium buildup (as has been suggested) around the impeller. Good possibility that's what it is.
Old 10-21-2002, 07:46 AM

Bryan is on a distinguished road

I had the same thing happen to me with a little giant 3md last year. take the impeller cover off and see if you can turn the motor shaft, if it turns with a lot of resistance then one of the bearings is probably beginning to seize. In my case it was because one of th oil holes on top became plugged with lint etc. I cleaned the hole with a piece of wire and added about 10 drops of oil. I guess I managed to get to it in time because after a couple of turns of the shaft with my hand the bearing worked itself loose and the pump still continues to run to this day. Of course make sure the impeller and cover are cleaned of any calcium deposits
Old 10-22-2002, 02:39 AM

Thanks for all the help!

I did open the cover and clean the impeller this morning. What I found is if I try to turn the impeller it will start spinning.

May be Bryan is right, I will try to put oil the pump and see whether I can fix it.

Delphinus:

I like your signature. Actually I didnot flood my basement, I flood my living room. Fortunely, I changed to hardwoodf floor when I installed the tank. Still, take me more than 4 hours to clean up the mess. I can still smell salt water in my living room now.

Ken
Old 10-22-2002, 05:58 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Old 10-22-2002, 07:07 AM

Bryan is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the bearing, mine did exactly the same thing. Don't be afraid to add a lot of oil and spin the motor at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myinfo
Thanks for all the help!

I did open the cover and clean the impeller this morning. What I found is if I try to turn the impeller it will start spinning.

Ken
Old 10-23-2002, 05:55 AM

ldzielak is on a distinguished road

I have had my pump seize 3 times in the past year. I then take it all apart and clean the oil holes with WD40, eventualy, this works. I let is sit and dry, then add oil. I'm sure I have a bad bearing!! There is a rep in Surrey, and they stock the motors. I called them the first time in a panic, I'm not sure of the price. I still have not decided if I should keep it or get something better and quiet!! I'm not impressed with this pump.

Lee
Old 10-24-2002, 04:39 AM

Hi:

I have 3 little giant, I only have problem with one of them,the rest run with no problem.

I have no idea what cause the problem, I oil them regularly. Anyway I brought 2 mak-4 from Jayson. Very nice pump, just a little bit noisy than the little giant.