Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Freshwater

Old 11-11-2006, 02:55 AM

saltwatermaniac is on a distinguished road
Question Saulosi cichlids?

Hey guys my female saulosi is holding I believe they bred two days ago so I was wondering what should I do should I just leave them alone or take the male out and leave her in there and also how long do they hold most of the time I believe it is two wweeks!!?

Any suggestions will help and will be greatly appreciated!!

Thx
Justin
Old 11-11-2006, 05:36 AM

hqgc is on a distinguished road

I had a tang' cichlid tank with two types breeding constantly, one was the juvi's and the others were the neolamps... I had some nice pieces of texas holey rock which was great for breeding. Both types constantly reproduced for about a year until I moved and my tank crashed.
Your best bet is to just let them breed and let nature take it course. Cichlids are good parents and like I said , texas holey rock is great for the fry to hide in .
Enjoy!
Old 11-11-2006, 02:49 PM

jvision is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jvision Send a message via Yahoo to jvision

If you want to keep all the fry - or as many as possible - I'd move the female to a 10 or 15 gal tank w. a few caves and an established sponge filter. You won't need to move her for a couple weeks.
When she spits, you can either leave her in there for another few days while she recooperates, or - if you have the space - move her to another 10 gal, so she can eat for a few days (females don't eat while they're holding). Then put her back in the main tank.
Feed the fry BBS, or a high quality pellet that's been crushed.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:10 AM

Neil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hqgc View Post
Cichlids are good parents
African mbuna!?
Do what jvision said, be careful she doesnt spit during her capture- sometimes they will spit from the stress of being netted and handled. Definately try to do that later than sooner as if she spits at least the fry have a fighting chance on their own at that point. i have had a (a few times) females spit a bunch of wigglers with their egg sacks still and it never panned out for them. Make sure she doesnt leave the water in her transfer (use small container to retreive her from the net and transfer). After she spits, she will suck them back up every time she feels threatend for a day or two, after that- give her another couple of days and toss her back in the main tank. feed the fry frozen baby brine shrimp and good luck. hope that helps