Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-25-2006, 04:41 AM

Palster is on a distinguished road
Default Where To Place Powerheads?

I decided I needed more flow in my tank so I recently purchased 3 Maxi-Jet 1200 powerheads and a wave maker controller. I am not sure of the best locations to place the powerheads to provide optimum flow. I was considering placing one in each back corner at the bottom pointing towards the middle and slightly upward towards the surface and possibly the third somewhere in the middle along the back wall of the tank pointing slightly upward also. Does this sound reasonable or does anyone have any other suggestions? The tank is a standard 90 gallon (4 foot tank) and is currently FOWLR but I eventually plan on adding some corals. I also have a 900gph return pump from the sump.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:54 AM

kwirky is on a distinguished road

I would try to figure out some way to turn them into a closed loop. possibly attach hosing to the output, and feed the hosing to the opposite end of the tank. there's tons of creative ways out there to improve the flow.

I'd say, since you don't have any corals in there at the moment, you can experiment like crazy till you get something you like