Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 10-23-2006, 06:14 PM

MikeP is on a distinguished road
Default Time to buy a pump but I need some help

I'm setting up a 190g reef. One of the last peices of equiptment I need is a pump. Here is the info I can tell you. I have one corner overflow and one return bulkhead. The overflow and return bulkheads measure 1.25 inches inside diameter (not sure if that rounds down to a 1 inch bulkhead?). I will need a submersible pump because my sump is an old 55g tank and cannot be drilled to hook up a external pump and besides I'm a little cramped for space. There will be about 5 or 6 feet of PVC between the pump outlet and the return bulkhead with two 90 degree elbows. How many GPH should I be looking for? I think when all this is factored in I want about 8 or 9 hundred but I'm not positive. As I understand it, there is a balance between overflow, sump, and return. If the pump is not powerful enough or to powerful I will run into big problems. If you can suggest brands/models that will also be helpful.

Thanks for any help
Old 10-24-2006, 12:45 AM

MikeP is on a distinguished road

I think my head loss will be about 100gph. How fast will the 1 inch bulkhead drain? Is that the most important factor?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:16 AM

WWWD is on a distinguished road

Your kind of limited on your choices for pumps if you want to go submersible mag, sedra... The kicker is that submersible pumps for large sized tanks can be pretty loud and transfer heat into your water. I would suggest you reconsider how you have your sump setup and see if there is a way you can get an external pump in there somehow. Maybe even on a shelf or outside the stand.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:52 PM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

I use a Hagen Aquaclear 901/110 powerhead on my present 180g with 33g sump system. They push 900 gph at 0' head. My head is at 4' approx. (makes me sound short) so that calculates to about 750gph, if I remember correctly. But I have two 6" corner overflows, not just one, for a total of 24" linear overflow. You should determine how much gph your overflow can handle (there is a calculator on Reef Central), factor in the head, and then size your pump accordingly so it doesn't exceed the linear overflow capacity.

HTH,