Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-01-2002, 10:10 PM

Jack is on a distinguished road
Default RO/DI

Hey, I was just wondering if everybody uses RO/DI water. I hate algae and it is driving me nuts. I have my sand bed covered in the blue/green flimentous aglae. I hate it, so anyways, just wondering where the best deal is to get one. JL's got the kent 50gpd RO/DI for 330$. Is that the best? I just want some input and info before I begin purchasing. Also it would be good to know what you guys are using and works and what doesnt. Thanks
Old 01-01-2002, 10:34 PM

Reefmaster is on a distinguished road
Default RO/DI

jack
we bought that very unit and are happy enough with it. before that we were buying water at a water store.
shane
Old 01-01-2002, 10:54 PM

Silverfish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Silverfish
Default RO/DI

Hi Jack,

I am using RO/DI water and it is the way to go. I got mine at a plumbing wholesaler (Andrew Sheret) and it cost me about $300. I added a DI cartridge a bit later and it seems to be working great. I love drinking the stuff too, can't go back to municipal water now, tastes like swimming pool water. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Oh ya, it is an Aqua Flo 25 GPD which I will upgrade to a 35GPD when this RO cartridge is done. This one comes with a faucet for your kitchen sink too.
Old 01-01-2002, 11:45 PM

Shadetree is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Shadetree
Default RO/DI

Jack,

I also use a Kent Maxxima 50 GPD RO/DI. I lucked out and got it cheap off of one of the boards used. With all the money and care that goes into our tanks I think that a quality water filter is a great investment.

Scott
Old 01-02-2002, 01:18 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road
Default RO/DI

Silverfish drinking RO is great; drinking DI in a no no. Check with Andrew Sherrit or J&L.
In addition there is an article on the Spectapure website (they make RO/DI) that DI is not necessary if we get our drinking water from the North Shore Reservoir.
Old 01-02-2002, 02:07 AM

canadawest is on a distinguished road
Default RO/DI

I am using a 100GPD Reefpure RO/DI unit, and think they are excellent. Much cheaper than a comparible model from J&L. I also think as a member of this board you get a discount.

Last time I checked the website Dave (the owner) was offering free shipping on all units.

Might want to check out the units and see if it fits your budget.

PS.. Order a couple extra replacement cartridges now, as they are almost half the price of the ones at J&L, and you'll need them down the road anyway!
Old 01-02-2002, 02:41 AM
Administrator

titus has disabled reputation
Default RO/DI

Hello,

From what I've read and seen, Kent's unit (the one sold on J&L) aren't the best available and also not the cheapest. There's a good article written by the owner of ReefPure and is posted in the library section. Go check it out.

BTW, I am discussing with ReefPure about retailing the filters. If you need one, let me know. I think theirs are pretty good deal, some even come with a TDS monitor.
Old 01-02-2002, 03:01 AM

Silverfish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Silverfish
Default RO/DI

Hi Naesco,

Curious about DI being not good to drink. I actually got my DI from Andrew Sheret, as well as a couple other friends (and reefers)

Do you have some info on this? I would like to find out.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2002, 03:46 AM

pocilipora is on a distinguished road
Default RO/DI

As far as I know DI water is just fine. Bottled water has been deionized as well as UV sterilized and run through a RO unit.
Old 01-02-2002, 05:12 AM

Jack is on a distinguished road
Default RO/DI

Thanks a lot for the good, quick replys. Looks like I will have to do a bit more research than I've done. I will read that article in the Library section. It's gonna be a good investment, I just want to make the right one. I just hate how the 45$ DI cartridge needs replacement every 400 gallons. Ugh, what a pain. But now I'm curious and wonder If I would even need the DI... oh man, tough call. Does anyone just use RO and get away fine? Or is DI worth it? Thanks again