Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-01-2002, 05:05 PM

Troy F is on a distinguished road
Default sailfin tang reef safe?

Howdy and welcome to the board. I think that you'll find the sailfin will quickly outgrow your tank. These fellows get large. The crabs usually don't go after the bigger bubbles. I would suggest as much manual removal as you can, trying not to burst the bubbles if possible. It then maybe possible for your mithrax spp. crabs to control the problem. Look to getting some other type of macro alga going to out compete the valonia.
Old 01-01-2002, 06:46 PM

reefer in arnprior is on a distinguished road

Hi and thanks for the welcome.I do have a few different species of macro and coraline growing everywhere.I generally just vacume them up using a magnum 350.(part of my maintenance tools)and many of them usually burst.I know I shouldn't burst them but I thought that if I could get as many as I could with one go I could also trap their spores in the filter.Needless to say it did not go as planned and now that my "holiday maintenance break" is over I have many many more valonia to deal with.Any other "critters" that may help me?
Old 01-02-2002, 04:17 AM

reefer in arnprior is on a distinguished road

Hi,I have a simple question and was wondering if anyone could answer it for me?I have a 75gal reef set-up that is slowly being consumed with bubble algae.My emerald green crabs don't even put a dent in the stuff.So I was thinking about getting a desjardins sailfin tang.Anybody out there have any experience with this fish in a reef?Will it do the job and is it safe?