Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-02-2006, 08:08 PM

WWWD is on a distinguished road
Default Shops to Visit in Seattle and Portland

Does anyone know of decent shops worth visiting in Seattle, Portland and Vancouver Wa. area? I will be down there soon and would like to check out a few shops.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2006, 08:53 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

It's been so long that I was there (1999), but when I was there I did find a few gems. I just wish I could remember the names. Some were just your generic LFS's not worth making a whole trip to Portland for, but there was 1 or 2 that were. Dang, I just wish I could remember.

I remember looking at a dang blue tort that has since been called "Oregon blue" or whatever, years before there was any hoo-hah over it. It was either at a place called Waves, Sousza's, or Upscales.

I guess it's been so long that any memory of mine would be invalid anyhow, a lot can happen or change in 7 years. I bet half the stores I visited are gone anyhow.

Anyhow, it is worth checking out all of them. Somewhere in Oregon must be enough of those stupid torts to have had a whole colour morph named after them. Most stores I found were a waste of time, but it was the last 2 or 3 stores out of a bunch of 7 or 8 that I visited in a row that really just blew me away.

Here are some websites I could find:
http://www.upscales.com/genwebpage.ihtml?formid=1

Ok that's all I could find. Waves must be gone, and Sousa's must be gone, I can't even get half-decent hits off google to at least let me know if I'm on the right track.

Across the river in .. is is Vancouver WA? (right across from Portland) there was supposed to be a decent store. Sorry that's not much to go on either.

If you can afford the day's driving, make it down to Newport and visit the Oregon Coast Aquarium. The aquarium is worth a visit, and the drive down the coast is spectacular.

Enjoy the trip, I'm jealous, I really enjoyed my time in Portland. If you turn on a tap there, think of me (I was there to install the SCADA system for their waterworks).
Old 10-02-2006, 08:53 PM

Buddyboy is on a distinguished road

That's a good question! Maybe you should post the question on reefcentral.com. More Americans on that board. Let us know what you come up with!
Old 10-02-2006, 09:11 PM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

Try posting on Reef Frontiers - most of their members seem to be from the Pacific NW (Seattle, Portland etc. etc.)
Old 10-02-2006, 09:11 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Thank goodness for yellowpages.com.

The other place I'm thinking of is "Soutas". I was close, just not close enough.
http://www.soutassaltwater.com/Gener...nformation.htm

I guess the "Waves" store I was thinking is no more, as there's definitely nothing listed under Aquariums or Pets with that name. Oh well. At least 2 out of 3 aint too bad.

Hope this info is a good starting point.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:15 PM

dirtyreefer is on a distinguished road

Upscales is supposed to be "The" LFS for Portland Oregon area. That would be a definite visit for me.

There are a couple other places I've heard of called "Kahuna Corals", can't remember the others but I think Upscales would be the one I'd be most excited about.

BTW, the Aquarium mentioned (Oregon Coast Aquarium) is a great place. It's actually what inspired me to get into reefkeeping 5 years ago Got home from my Ore coast trip, went and bought an aquarium, live rock, and a bio-wheel filter Let's just say I killed alot of livestock in those days
Old 10-02-2006, 09:31 PM

Veng68 is on a distinguished road

Last year I tried to find Waves but was unsuccessful because they moved. If you like freshwater........... try wetspot tropicals.

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]
Old 10-02-2006, 09:51 PM

Veng68 is on a distinguished road

Seattle

Blue Sierra
Saltwater City.

Cheers,
Aquaman
Old 10-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I was at a PSAS Meeting they had at Blue Sierra in Issaquah. Great store, they had some really nice stuff with some incredibly crazy prices ($$$).

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:10 AM

So! Did you guys go or what! I eagerly await your report..