Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-23-2006, 11:04 PM

gradoj is on a distinguished road
Default ID Please

This guy grew out of some LR sometime in the last few months. It's about the size of a loonie. Anyone know what it is? Should I just leave it alone? It has just about doubled in size in the last few weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM000246.JPG (85.7 KB, 123 views)
Old 09-23-2006, 11:07 PM

kellehar is on a distinguished road

looks like apistasia. if it is they will spread very quickly and become a real problem.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:10 PM

safety4fire is on a distinguished road
Default That is apistasia

I should know I have them in my tank.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:37 PM

Cam is on a distinguished road
Default Don't pull it off!!!

I have two in my tank and was told if you tear them apart in the tank they will spread like a wildfire. I haven't tried this yet but it's supposed to work, try injecting it with lemon concentrate for more details here's a website.
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/msu...a/aa061903.htm
Ive heard you can also try burning them but thats only if you can get the piece of live rock they are on out of the tank. But be careful ive heard they can become quite the pests. Also some types of fish will eat them supposedly large angels will do this.
Good Luck
Cam
Old 09-23-2006, 11:37 PM

Flusher is on a distinguished road
Default Go

Don't freak out. This is a common nuisance, and it actually helps to clean the tankwater. They tend to sting and kill corals, though, so they're better off in a sump.

Squirt really hot tapwater at it and that should kill it. Get a Peppermint shrimp to take care of any smaller aipstasia that may have spread.

If your tank is big enough, you could put a Copperband butterfly in there too. I think that's the type of fish that eats aipstasia.
________
Halfbaked

Last edited by Flusher; 04-21-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:00 AM

robzilla is on a distinguished road

i use vinegar with success
Old 09-24-2006, 01:27 AM

safety4fire is on a distinguished road

The Aiptasia are really taking off in my tank, probably a sign my tank is doing well, but bad cause they are spreading like weeds.

I just bought four Peppermint shrimp from Neil (howdy), they seem to have disapeared, lazy shrimp, they're fired!!!

I was thinking of getting a Copperband Butterfly or Red Sea Golden Butterfly just to get rid of them, but I am not sure I would like to take the chance of them eating the Zoanthids, and Coral Poyps as well. Would like to here someone’s experiences with these fish in controlling Aiptasia.

I would like to have tried the Berghia Nudibranches but after reading the experiences of those on the forum that bought them only to have them die off with-in a few days, I thought my money could be better spent.

I read the article that Cam suggested regarding lemon juice, I think I will give it a try, beats waiting for the shrimp to do there job.

Burn Aiptasia Burn

Greg
Old 09-24-2006, 07:17 AM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

I have a Copperband Butterfly in my tank...it did clean up all the aiptasia (and I had a TON) ...BUT this is a really difficult fish to keep. I wouldn't recommend it...use another method for controlling or dealing with aiptasia...it is also a bit of a hit and miss whether the CBB will eat the aiptasia or not....then whether it will eat frozen foods etc in your tank...

Old 09-24-2006, 05:21 PM

gradoj is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:52 PM

Quagmire is on a distinguished road

Ive had very good success useing Kalk paste to kill them.Just mix the kalk into a paste and use something small like an eye droper ( I use the droper from an old test kit )to squirt the paste into the hole where it lives.If you can,remove the rock and do it in a seperate container,so you dont mess with your PH.Having said that Ive never had a bad aiptasia problem,only 1 or 2 on new rock or coral.