Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Edmonton

Old 05-26-2002, 02:18 AM

marine newbie is on a distinguished road
Default New tank setup

I hope someone can answer some questions for me. :confused: I got some of the caribsea sugar sand and put it in the tank after i filled up my tank with seawater however the water is now a tan/brown color and has been like this for 2 days now :( , is this normal or did i screw up. [img]redface.gif[/img] According to the labels on the caribsea bag they said that you don't have to wash the sand but when i put it in the tank, i found a piece of metal :eek: (looks like zinc) and a whole bunch of what looks like shredded wood. :eek: Is this normal or did i get a bad bag of sand?
Old 05-26-2002, 03:36 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default New tank setup

A new tank with new sand can/will look like a milkshake for a few days to a week. Normal.
Finding things other than sand in CAribsea...not normal. I haven't used a lot of bags, but I've personally never heard of this before. Removing the zinc and wood would be a good idea.
Do you have a skimmer running? That will help with the milkshake effect.
Old 05-27-2002, 03:32 PM

new_reefer is on a distinguished road
Default New tank setup

I had the same problem when I first started. And being less then patient I emptied all the salt water and started over. What you can do is after you layed the sand, you place a plate over the sand and pour your salt water on it. This still causes a slight clouding, but not as bad. Mine settled in a day. I only have a 25G tank though.

Den
Old 05-27-2002, 03:34 PM

djbravoleader is on a distinguished road
Default New tank setup

normal