Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-24-2002, 09:57 PM

fredfish is on a distinguished road
Default DI resin advice

There are a couple of online stores in the US that sell DI resins by the cubic foot at a much lower cost than retail. The trouble is, there is no description with the resins, you have to know what you want.

Is there an online resource anywhere that would explain the various dowex resins?

Thanks.
Fred
Old 03-28-2002, 11:14 PM

reefburnaby is on a distinguished road
Default DI resin advice

Hi,

Do you have a link to these online sites. I'll see if I can decipher it.

- Victor.
Old 04-06-2002, 09:59 AM

Marianne is on a distinguished road
Default DI resin advice

I am sorry about the delay in responding.

Anyway, resins, there are (as you found out) many types. I have found some manufactures out perform others. Many times we custom blend, depending on the properties of the batches.

As a manufacturer, when we receive resin batches we have to test them. If you do not, the quality control can go out the window.

The way DI resin is made is with a regeneration of hydrochloric acid and the other regenerate use is a very strong base.

If you do not check the pH before you "sell" these resins the results can be disastrous.

So it may appear that the mark up is big (and if all we did was buy it and resell it would be) there is a great deal more to it. The cost for shipping (they are very heavy, about 60 pounds per cubic foot) and preparing the resin, then filling cartridges, packing and so forth.

If it were really as simply as just buying and reselling, then someone would have the big discounts available.

As far as choice of resins, it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. It has taking 20 years of my life in water treatment to figure out what works best for me, and about $100,000 in education.

So what sounds like a simple question, is really not.

You may really enjoy looking further into it, if you are a science type. Be prepared to spend alot of time and money to learn the resins and then you will gain a good understanding and most folks really do enjoy this sort of thing.
Old 05-11-2002, 11:33 AM

stephane is on a distinguished road
Default DI resin advice

I just came across this tread this what I know on this. http://www.canreef.com/ubb6/cgi-bin/...=000684#000000
Old 09-29-2002, 05:51 PM

AquariumPros.ca is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to AquariumPros.ca Send a message via MSN to AquariumPros.ca Send a message via Yahoo to AquariumPros.ca
Default DI resin advice

For those of you who were following this -

New Product available!!

HTH,