Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-17-2006, 05:42 PM

Squiddy is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone with sump closed inside stand?

This is my first time with a sump and I'm trying to get everything set up nicely. The tank stand I am using is fully enclosed with two doors at the front and with the sump sitting in the bottom of it, I obviously get a lot of moisture inside the stand. I was thinking of putting a couple of fans through to the back, but I was wondering what other people with similar setups do to keep the moisture from building up and destroying the stand. Completely covering the top of the sump seems like an idea to help but wouldn't that reduce the gas exchange?

Old 08-17-2006, 05:46 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

If your overflows are done properly, you shouldn't have any bubbles in the tank. That would cut done on the humidity tremendously.

Here's some links:

http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26316

http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showt...t=25427&page=8 (halfway down the page)
Old 08-17-2006, 06:01 PM

BMW Rider is on a distinguished road

I use computer fans to ventilate the humidity out from my stands and canopys. Use a small 12v power pack to run them.

Ed
60 gallon winter tank for pond fish.
300 gallon pond with waterfall.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:11 PM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road

If you go to Queale's Electronics in Vic they have a few different sizes of 110V fans. I put a couple on my hood for cooling and they are very quiet, can be variable speed controlled with a simple dimmer switch, and can be amped up to move a lot of air... they are heavy duty and fairly inexpensive too as I remember..
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!
Old 08-17-2006, 07:59 PM

Squiddy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the links Albert. I am unfortunately in no position now to set up nice looking overflows like those ones. I could shorten my drain standpipe and close off the ball valve the right amount to get the same effect but I wouldn't have the second drain as a failsafe if something blocked up the one. I guess if I had a reliable setup of float switches, I could safely have the pump shut off if something does get blocked up. I will have to look into that. Would be easy to add as inputs to my PLC .

I think I will just go with fans for now... So, one facing in and one facing out? I guess the fans won't last too long with the salty air going through them...

I noticed the moisture buildup a couple of days ago but that was before I put the 100 micron sock over the drain. Now, with the sock, there is much less splashing around so maybe it will get better.

Old 08-19-2006, 06:21 PM

Rikko is on a distinguished road

I have a fully enclosed sump with virtually zero air movement out of the stand.. I get a very tiny amount of mold that needs wiping every few months (at best), so for me it's not a big issue.
My only big complaint is that it does warm the tank up overall - in the summer I leave the doors wide open and the temperature is a good 2 degrees cooler. The majority of the year it's not really an issue.