Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-07-2006, 05:08 AM

Palster is on a distinguished road
Default Skimmer Not Performing

I have been trying without success to control the algae problem in my tank for a while now (the tank has been running for about 6 months). I do not believe that my skimmer is producing near enough skimmate which could be contributing to the algae problem. I have a Red Sea Berlin skimmer (which I have read mixed reviews about). I am running a Rio 2100 pump with this skimmer. The pump puts out 692 gallons per hour according to the manufacturer. I have seen this same skimmer sold on-line with the Rio 2500 or 3100 pump which puts out 782 or 900 gallons per hour respectively. I have the air screw on this skimmer unscrewed all the way so that the venturi is receiving maximum air flow. Even with the air screw backed off all the way the skimmer will not produce a wet skimmate and the production seems to be poor (I am only getting about half a cup of skimmate per week). I am wondering if maybe the pump that I am using is undersized for this skimmer? The instruction manual that came with the skimmer states that the minimum pump size should be 500 gallons per hour so my pump is well above this.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:26 AM

Flusher is on a distinguished road
Default Go

I used to think that skimmate had to be black and gunky for the skimmer to be doing it's job. An LFS owner showed me a handout from a skimmer manufacturer, and that changed my mind.

The handout noted that skimmate should look a bit like tea or gingerale. The LFS owner made the point that it takes more time to get dry gunky skimmate, and if you dilute it with clean water, you pretty much break even as far as what is getting removed from the tank water over any given period of time. Wet skimmate will apparently remove more than dry skimate in a shorter period of time.

He also mentioned that dry skimmate builds up around the collection cup, and bubbles will burst on the build-up, leaving all the crud to fall back into the water.

I don't know if any of this pertains to your situation, but hopefully it'll be of some use.
________
Cumshot mouth

Last edited by Flusher; 04-21-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:36 AM

Palster is on a distinguished road

I am looking for more information on how to set this skimmer up so that it performs better but I did learn a few things from your post.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:14 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

I started with Red Sea Berlin skimmers about seven years ago. I just want to say, don't waste your time, upgrade.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flusher
I used to think that skimmate had to be black and gunky for the skimmer to be doing it's job. An LFS owner showed me a handout from a skimmer manufacturer, and that changed my mind.

The handout noted that skimmate should look a bit like tea or gingerale. The LFS owner made the point that it takes more time to get dry gunky skimmate, and if you dilute it with clean water, you pretty much break even as far as what is getting removed from the tank water over any given period of time. Wet skimmate will apparently remove more than dry skimate in a shorter period of time.

He also mentioned that dry skimmate builds up around the collection cup, and bubbles will burst on the build-up, leaving all the crud to fall back into the water.

I don't know if any of this pertains to your situation, but hopefully it'll be of some use.
Good info Flusher. By the way, for anyone wanting to read an excellent read on skimming, Randy,s Holmes new skimming article is in this months just released issue of Reefkeeping, {RC,s mag}.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:21 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

yuppers I concern with douglass