Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-25-2006, 02:42 AM

Richard_Dicosimo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Richard_Dicosimo
Default tunze wave pump trouble shoot

i setup my wave box the other day it was all working good, and now when its supposed to surge it just makes a beeping sound. i checked the pump all looks well i checked the power box adjustment unit all looks fine i checked the controller all looks fine same with the photo cell. anyone else ever experience this? im not sure what to do i was pretty excited and took it out of the box when it first arrived Way before my tank was setup so of course i dont have the book that has some trouble shooting in it... any ideas?

i bought it from jl but havent contacted them yet i was hoping that it was just me being a boob and not a faulty unit.

Richard
Old 07-25-2006, 04:44 AM

zoomin is on a distinguished road

I'd go to reefcentral.com and search the tunze forum.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:15 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Tunzes have alarms that indicate that the impeller is blocked. Ie. if you hear an audible electronic wail then it means the impeller cannot turn (or is having problems turning). Usually a calcium buildup is the cause. I would not expect this out of the box, that is a little disconcerting. I would take out the impeller and see if there's anything amiss.

If you like, I could come over and take a look. Shoot me a PM if you want.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:54 AM

Richard_Dicosimo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Richard_Dicosimo

it has only been in the tank for a couple of weeks like 2. is a calcium build up possable that fast?

and thanks for the offer Tony but i have been working 13 hour days lately and havent had reliable home time hours.

Richard
Old 07-28-2006, 05:27 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Seems unlikely but it's not impossible. My guess though is that it's not a calcium buildup if it's only a couple weeks.

Try taking it apart, the instructions will show you how to put it together again. If nothing else, see how much effort it takes to spin the impeller manually -- if it doesn't turn or has a lot of friction then you know something's up. Maybe it's missing a bearing or something like that.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:47 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

I have a Wave Box and don't know what that sound is ?
Old 07-28-2006, 11:49 AM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

I had a couple of Tunze pumps that I had the same problem with. I heard that they had a batch of bad impellers or something - anyway I had bought mine from J&L and they e-mailed Tunze and the powerhead were immediately replaced.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyB
I have a Wave Box and don't know what that sound is ?
Check your manual. I can't see the wave box pumps not having this feature when the other Tunze pumps do. It's a nice feature actually -- if for whatever reason the impeller can't turn, it shuts off and emits that alarm tone so that you know something's up, rather then letting things overheat or breaking the impeller.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:17 PM

deepRED is on a distinguished road

Check the impeller for any sand that may have gotten sucked into the unit. That's all it takes for the unit to start beeping. I had the same issue, cleaned it out and now it's all good.