Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-15-2006, 07:08 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough
Default NLS foods - anybody using?

I just got some New Life Spectrum Marine & Spectrum Thera sinking pellets (1mm). Tried the Marine & my fish, which are used to frzn foods & some flakes, have taken to this pelleted form. The YT will even invade the home turf of my Gold striped maroon pair to get at the pellets, which is quite surprising because it's the new fish in the tank & have always stayed away from that corner. The maroons at first just mouthed it, but now they are gobbling down the pellets as well. In the other tank, the ocellaris still only mouth it, so I will keep trying with them. Only one day, but so far I'm happy with most of the fish being willing to eat these new pellets.

This is going to be an ongoing trial (will try to switch the YT/maroons onto just NLS pellets) to see if it lives up to the claims & testimonials I've read.

I'll keep you posted, but I would also like to hear from anyone else feeding NLS to their fish, especially sw fish. I gave some to my fw fish & they gobbled it up but then again, they're all pigs.

Anthony
Old 03-15-2006, 01:48 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

I use NLS flake food... all my fish go wild for it. Seems to be good stuff. Can't say I've noticed any change in my fish though... but I have only been feeding a few months.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:49 PM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

ive been using nlf pellets for a while even though its not every day,after a few feedings all the fish love them.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:58 PM

RonPeter is on a distinguished road

Same here, my fish love the NLS flake and pellets.
65 gallon tank, 3 gallon refugium, 90lbs LR, 50 lbs live sand, Coralife Super Skimmer 125, 24" 250 watt DE Pendant w/14K Hamilton. 1 ocellaris clowns,1 Tomini Tang, 6 line wrasse, 12 turbo grazer snails, 12 nassarius snails, 12 Cerith. Open Brain, Metallic Green Brain, candy cane coral, 1 enchino frags, and 2 maxima clam.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:12 PM

monza is on a distinguished road

Had to go look, not NLS. New flake I'm using is OSI fish love it.

Dave
Old 03-15-2006, 03:58 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Were do you get it Anthony

J
Old 03-15-2006, 04:06 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

I spent big money on the pellets, but my fish won't touch them, so I gave them away. However, I saved a few, and am trying them on my Auriga which like OSI flakes best. So far he spits them out, but then goes back to pick them off the substrate, so I will keep trying.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 03-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough
Talking

Got mine from Neil Wegner at:

www.cichlid-food-canada.com

Decided to try this brand after reading how Pablo (guy who came up with the formula in Florida) has been keeping a huge tank of Moorish Idols, Butterflyfish & other marine species strictly on this NLS food for over 8 years. I'm used to giving my fish lots of variety but it's getting too silly in my case, with 5 frzn foods & 5 dried foods taking up a lot of space & money.

Since I have a background in aquaculture, I thought I'd see if this food lives up to the reviews & hype I've read over the last few months.

Am very interested in reading about the other Canreefers' experiences.

I plan to write a review & hopefully add some pics (if warranted) after my fish have been on it for a while & I'll post the results in the Product Review thread.

Thanks for those who have replied,

Anthony
Old 03-15-2006, 05:36 PM

Willow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Willow Send a message via Yahoo to Willow

why do i always get the impression that when i see people posting about nsl it's a cult like amway thing. do they encourge people to post about it on websites after they use it? it's kinda creepy.

90 Gallon LPS tank - Challice, Acans, Favia, Diplo and Zoos
125 Gallon SPS Coming Soon!
Old 03-15-2006, 05:40 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I feel a little like George then and the carpet cleaning cult, I guess I wasn't good enough.

"One day the world will be covered in carpet ... and it will need to be cleaned ....."

Anyhow I bought some of the NLS pellets because my banggai cardinal would -only- eat mysis, and I mean, absolutely refused to eat anything else. I tried these pellets but no go to that.

The only fish who truly went berserk for it is my tang, and.. well .. he pretty much goes berserk for anything I offer him to eat, so it's kinda a poor comparison. I throw some into the tank every now and again but mostly it's my tang and my carpet (of all things) who clean it up, the rest of the fish are mostly indifferent to it.