Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics livestock related only)

Old 03-08-2006, 09:44 PM

pandafishowner is on a distinguished road
Default FW snails in Calgary?

I've got a bit of an algae breakout in my 29g tank, and the 2 rams horn snails I have aren't cleaning it at all. I was told I could go with an Apple snail or a few Mystery snails. Was wondering if anyone here has any they'd lend me or I could buy from? I don't have much to spend right now, but need a cleaning crew badly. I can afford around maybe $10 right now, but I'd need them delivered to Dover if possible. I don't want to go spend around $6/each in a store if I can avoid it. Let me know. Thanks As far as fish go, I have 6 guppies, 4 cories, 2 rams horn snails, and 3 barbs (I think - 1 is almost all gold with a little black and is supposedly a clown barb and I can't remember what the other 2 are but I bought them from Gold's and they're orange and black striped)?

50g cube SW tank (24x24x20) w/20g sump and internal overflow box, Coralife 24" 2 x 65W Aqualight, skimmer, and 2x HOB filters
It has approx 35lbs live rock, clownfish, 1 black & white saddleback clownfish, asst'd mushrooms, asst'd zoas, gsp, turbo and other snails, blue legged, halloween and other hermit crabs, tuxedo urchin

10g FW tank with...
Current occupants are cardinal tetras and ameca splendons
Old 03-08-2006, 10:16 PM

TheGr8Blade is on a distinguished road

PMed you!
Old 03-08-2006, 10:16 PM

howdy20012002 is on a distinguished road
Default re snail

u can get FW snails at petsmart for 1.99 each
Neal
Old 03-08-2006, 10:35 PM

allincuddy is on a distinguished road
Default snails

If your out break is on the glass, (actually anywhere) I wouldn't go with snails, but get yourself an albino bristlenose pleco. Thet won't harm any fish and are the hardests workers as far as removal I have ever had. I have been doing fresh water for 12 years and have 2200 gallons basically for breeding. I have a BNpleco in every small tank, including ones that have 1 day old fry in them and they don't touch any fry.
I don't know much, but this is a for sure.
Thanks.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:40 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Hey Mark, why an albino bristlenose? Just curious. Wouldn't a non-albino do the same job?
Old 03-08-2006, 11:05 PM

I've been to both Petsmarts in the past 2 days. The one in the south (by Chinook) only had mystery snails for $5.99 each and the one in the north (by Sunridge) has the same for $4.99 each. I'd rather not get those. I checked each tank and that's all I saw.

Don't plecos get to be really big? Around 6+ inches? I don't want to get a really big fish and then not be able to add more guppies. It was supposed to originally be a guppy tank only lol Can you give me more info on the pleco?

50g cube SW tank (24x24x20) w/20g sump and internal overflow box, Coralife 24" 2 x 65W Aqualight, skimmer, and 2x HOB filters
It has approx 35lbs live rock, clownfish, 1 black & white saddleback clownfish, asst'd mushrooms, asst'd zoas, gsp, turbo and other snails, blue legged, halloween and other hermit crabs, tuxedo urchin

10g FW tank with...
Old 03-08-2006, 11:19 PM

I have had both and the albino's seem to out perform, by about double. It might have been I had lazy regulars? Also I might be a little baised as I bought them to breed and had them all in different tanks to grow out to breeding size, but they did out do the regulars, noticably. By the way I have not bred them yet, they are doing too good of jobs in each tank. If you have a large tank, say 100 and up, use a sailfin pleco and you will never see any debris or algae, but the like to eat small fish.
Well all I can say is what works for one might not work for others, but I think this will work for everyone.
These plecos get about 3 1/2 inches to 4 if your lucky.
If you decide on al. bristlenose and are getting more than 1 get 1 male and the rest female. Males have bristes going from their mouth, up the center ofthe head, females don't. Malesalso take care of the eggs, not the female. They also like to breed in a closed in area, like those little houses with small window decorations, hope you know what I'm talking about.
Good luck.
Thanks.

Last edited by allincuddy; 03-08-2006 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:53 PM

I've only got a 29 gallon and don't think I'll be upgrading any time soon. Any idea what stores carry them? Or if you're interested in selling one? LOL I'd prefer to stick with 1 for the time being.

10g FW tank with...
Old 03-09-2006, 12:34 AM

I'll check on how many males I have, probably a few, I can sell you one. Say $10.00
What part of the city are you in??
Thanks.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:48 AM

I'm in Dover.

10g FW tank with...