Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-12-2006, 04:32 AM

BCWolfen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to BCWolfen
Default Coris Wrasse info

So I have until the weekend to decide what to do with my Coris Wrasse. The LFS that I got him form has kindly said they will let me exchange him for a fish that will not eat all my inverts. (Thanks S. )

But the more I look at the pics the more I like him, now, and also what he will become. So I do have another option but need some input.

I have my 33 Gal plumbed inline with my 90, along with my 33gal sump. In it I have a blue damsel (He's been with me since day 1 and does not show any signs of wanting to leave). A Yellow boxfish (cowfish), a white spotted toby already at his max size of 3", one green brittle star, 1 peppermint shrimp, and some snails and crabs.
The tank is currently bare bottom, but that is easily changed. The shrimp and star would definately need to be moved back to the 90 as the wrasse will make short work of them as he gets bigger. Leaving just the 4 fish in the 33.

My three fold question:

1) Would the wrasse, damsel, boxfish and toby get along?
2) Is 33 gal enough swiming space for the wrasse? Not as concerened about the others as they tend to just drift in the flow.

3) Would the green brittle star be ok in my 90. He was given to me by a friend who was afraid of him catching his fish. I had him in my sump until I had the 33 up. In the month hes been in there I have never seen him go after any of the fish. His company would be a Yellow Tang, Pacific Blue Tang, Sixline Wrasse, Cinn. Clown, Bangai, Lawnmower Blenny, there is also a brown brittle star and an urchin in there. Nothing small enough for him to go after in my opinion.

Thanks for the input.
Home:160Gal. Foxface, Yellow Tang, Blue Tang, Coral Beauty, Lawnmower Blenny, Starwberry Dottyback, Mandarin Goby, 2 Percula Clowns, Green Brittle Star, Brown Brittle Star, Chocolate Chip Star, Cleaner Shrimp
Store: 33Gal. Green Brittle Star, Chocolate Chip Star, Peppermint Shrimp
Old 01-12-2006, 05:13 AM

Edmonton Eskimo is on a distinguished road

How long do you plan on keeping those fish in a 33? The coris gets about 13-14 inches and the cow fish will get rather large as well. Be careful with the cowfish, when they die they release toxins that will kill everything. I can also see your damsel getting aggressive with a rather small bit of territory
Old 01-12-2006, 06:08 AM

BCWolfen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to BCWolfen

After reading your post I found another web site with more info and the wrasse does indeed grow to large size. I think he will be better suited in another home. As much as I like him I will be taking him back this weekend. The cow will move up to a 90 gal tank as he gets bigger and the contents of the 90 will be moving into a planned 200ish in wall tank. Him and the damsel seem to get along quite happily, though I have read about the possibility of him releasing toxins.
Home:160Gal. Foxface, Yellow Tang, Blue Tang, Coral Beauty, Lawnmower Blenny, Starwberry Dottyback, Mandarin Goby, 2 Percula Clowns, Green Brittle Star, Brown Brittle Star, Chocolate Chip Star, Cleaner Shrimp
Store: 33Gal. Green Brittle Star, Chocolate Chip Star, Peppermint Shrimp
Old 01-12-2006, 06:28 AM

Edmonton Eskimo is on a distinguished road

That's too bad I like the coris wrasse. I just got one not too long ago and he is fun to watch.