Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-23-2005, 12:05 AM

JohnM99 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down LFS shoot themselves in the foot

I bought a lot of my equipment online, since much of what I wanted was not available in the local shops. I do feel I want to support the LFS though - but geez they make it difficult.

I wanted to get a new heater for replacement water. I let my old one go dry and it died.

I checked a couple of online prices - Ebo Jager 100 W is about $16 US at Premium Aquatics - or $24.65 at J&L. A bit high at J&L I thought, since the $16 US is less than 19 CN now.

But, I thought this is something I should buy locally - so I went to the LFS - how much COULD it be? Maybe 30 or 40 bucks?

But no........ they were asking $54.95. I just about choked.

This amount of markup is just going to guarantee I will not bother buying locally - I don't mind paying more - but that amount is just insulting.

Imagine if other businesses tried to do that - buying a TV or a fridge or a car - would you pay $60,000 for a Honda Civic. Sheesh.

Thanks. I feel better now.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:11 AM

AC33 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, a lot of LFS and local pet stores do seem to charge 2X-3X more on many items as compared to the US. But you have to remember, as in the case of J&L aquatics, is that they do have to pay shipping costs and duties to get items shipped across the border, so $24.65 seems very reasonable.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:15 AM

RonPeter is on a distinguished road

I buy 90% of my stuff from J&L, the LFS in Vernon is so out to lunch on his prices it's rediculous! Even if I have to pay shipping charges I save at least 40% on an order. Example....Coralife SupperSkimmer was $185.00 at J&L and my LFS wanted $395.00 for the exact same one!!! I priced a Flame Hawk I wanted it was $119.99 at the LFS and it cost me $65.00 to my door from J&L!!!! Corals there are also ALL ridiculously marked up the same way...I guess you get away with it when you are the only Salt water provider in town.
65 gallon tank, 3 gallon refugium, 90lbs LR, 50 lbs live sand, Coralife Super Skimmer 125, 24" 250 watt DE Pendant w/14K Hamilton. 1 ocellaris clowns,1 Tomini Tang, 6 line wrasse, 12 turbo grazer snails, 12 nassarius snails, 12 Cerith. Open Brain, Metallic Green Brain, candy cane coral, 1 enchino frags, and 2 maxima clam.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:27 AM

dirtyreefer is on a distinguished road

I was at Total Pet in Kelowna during the holidays and I remember a bag of IO salt (for 50g) was $45. What a joke
Old 12-23-2005, 06:01 PM

RonPeter is on a distinguished road

I know...AJ's In Vernon sells 160G IO for $99.99 and when I ask about their high price there reply is "we are doing you a favor selling it that cheap!" I now by it from Pet City in Kelowna for $69.99 a pail. I guess they can get away with it as they are the only Salt LFS in Vernon.
65 gallon tank, 3 gallon refugium, 90lbs LR, 50 lbs live sand, Coralife Super Skimmer 125, 24" 250 watt DE Pendant w/14K Hamilton. 1 ocellaris clowns,1 Tomini Tang, 6 line wrasse, 12 turbo grazer snails, 12 nassarius snails, 12 Cerith. Open Brain, Metallic Green Brain, candy cane coral, 1 enchino frags, and 2 maxima clam.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:14 PM

DanG is on a distinguished road

I don't work for a LFS, but I do know the difference in pricing when it comes to buying power. The prices can be drastically different when it comes to buying 20 vs buying 2000. I can definately see paying a premium from the LFS, but more than double is way out of line.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:40 PM

Stasher is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Stasher

On a single item at a small local pte store I could see a much larger price.
They don't have the buying power.
They have building, employee costs, shipping etc which they pass on. This is only fair on their part and I do my best to support them, they need to charge certain prices just to make it worth their while to sell.
It's the big box stores I don't understand charging the inflated prices, they have the size and buying power, aren't they supposed to be better, which they are not.
Next time you go to the LFS, if they are a small business, deal with them. Explain to them the what you can get the product for online, but don't forget you often neglect to remember the shipping price you will pay. Tell them you will glady pay marginally more locally for the convenience and support a local store but exagerrated prices are unreasonable. Don't ever compare to american prices, I am a small business owner and when I hear this I take offense, I don't mind you supporting another Canadian store but not an American one. It's not entirely a patriotism thing but I would rather invest in our economy as the triv=ckle down effect of consumer power will spread throughout the community.

Mostly, my point is that you shouldn't be completely selfish with your purchasing power, be an "informed consumer".

Local price is what you pay...

Online....product plus shipping ( plus duty and brokerage for US)

BTW...I support JL along with my LFS, they are a great store and are very helpful on the phone. Heck, one time I wanted to spend money and they talked me out of it. (A clam, recently treated my tank and they advised me to wait)
Old 12-23-2005, 06:49 PM

robzilla is on a distinguished road

my local pet store goes to vancouver and buys stuff from the coastal stores
and brings it back via his van. so he buys salt for $40 and sells for $99. its seems it bit much for a mark up. some of these lfs need to read the walmart book on how to drive their business.....
Old 12-23-2005, 07:07 PM

Willow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Willow Send a message via Yahoo to Willow

all it takes is to tell your lfs why you aren’t going to shop there and where you will shop and why. if they tell you to knock yourself out, go shop else where. the internet and shipping can be great asset in this hobby. be informed when you shop and tell your lfs to cut you some breaks when you bust them on their prices, if they go out of business because they are relying on people spending 99 bucks on a pail of salt they should probably be in another type of business.

90 Gallon LPS tank - Challice, Acans, Favia, Diplo and Zoos
125 Gallon SPS Coming Soon!

Last edited by Willow; 12-23-2005 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:09 PM

Stasher is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Stasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow
all it takes is to tell your lfs why you aren’t going to shop their and where you will shop and why. if they tell you to knock yourself out, go shop else where. the internet and shipping can be great asset in this hobby. be informed when you shop and tell your lfs to cut you some breaks when you bust them on their prices, if they go out of business because they are relying on people spending 99 bucks on a pail of salt they should probably be in another type of business.
This is basically what I believe.....Running a business requires give and take. Your customers are what keep you in business, you need to respond to their needs and stay at par with the industry.