Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Edmonton

Old 12-17-2005, 11:38 PM

knubbins is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to knubbins
Smile Just wondering..

Hello all again, we were just surfing around looking at different suppliers and found a place that is selling Fiji Live Rock for 4.59 per pound. They say that it is cured and we should only experience minimal die off but as I understand it I am starting a brand new tank so that wont really matter. The supplier is www.JLaquatics.com. My wife and I were wondering 2 things. First is is it really ok to buy mail order live rock? and does anyone have any opinions on this supplier good or bad. All of your help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2005, 11:55 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

The short version is that it is fine to buy mail order LR. Albeit the shipping cost may kill you. And J&L is an excellent supplier. Maybe you could wait until Josh makes another road trip to J&L, or see about a group order.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 12-17-2005, 11:58 PM

knubbins is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to knubbins
Default Thanks

Excellent thank you for your info Ill look into it.

Thanks
Old 12-18-2005, 12:15 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

However, better make sure that it is fully cured LR because I don't think J&L normally has LR long enough to cure it. Usually it's in & out within a couple of days, so double check on it's "cured" status. Also, check out OA (Ocean Aquatics) because I do know that James sets aside LR to fully cure in the store.

If you order online, try to contact the supplier to specify what size LR you're needing or you may end up with a few very large "boulders" when you really wanted smaller pieces.

Anthony
Old 12-18-2005, 12:28 AM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

Because of where I live I have to order just about everything on line. For my 230g I ordered my LR from J&L and for my 190g I ordered it from Ocean Aquatics. Both excellent suppliers and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either. As has been said however neither shipment was cured, which was fine with me as I wanted to cure it in my tank and cycle my tank with the rock. Also as has been said check the shipping - J&L has a shipping estimator on the webpage so you have to do your homework but it will still be cheaper than buying live rock in Edmonton at $10/lb. The rock that I got from OA was more interesting shapes but I also paid more $ for it. J&L has an excellent selection of drygoods and are very good at shipping extremely quick. OA has outstanding staff that will always spend time with you and really help you out. Hope that helps.