Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2005, 09:16 PM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road
Default Cleaner Wrasse? - Update

OK... here I am inserting the spoon again... Anyone want to share their opinions on these little critters? After 3 months, and some reading, I decided to try one of these to help clear up my Powder Blue tang of its ever-present light coat of ich. (Which though always present, the fish never stopped eating, and has in every other aspect appeared to be very healthy).

WOW! I put this little guy in the tank, and rather than go hide for a day or so like most other new fish, this guy went straight to my PB and started right away! The PB laid over and seems to enjoy this .... within 3 days, he was completely ich free. I was concerened that once that parasites were gone that the little guy might starve, but he eats everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING I put in the tank... even NORI... sometimes the PB gets a little frustrated at his antics and they do a little corkscrew chase around the tank, but the little wrasse keeps coming back and the PB usually lets him pick for a while before saying enough. It's quite comical behaviour, and he picks at the Copperband and Purple Tang as well. I'm no longer worried about feeding him, and would think that barring disaster, he will be a great addition to the community. I would have picked one up ages ago if it weren't for some of the stuff I read about reef conservation etc etc.

How have any of my fellow Canreefers made out with theirs? I decided to get mine as I read from a respected source, (Tullock) that there has never in fact been any evidence to support that collecting for the aquarium trade has had any impact on the reef except in the case of the Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse which is not collected for the hobby. In other reef habitats, these fish aren't over collected and are reported to be in abundance on the reef. I can understand the conservation issue and the impact of removing commensual species from the reef, but I get that from the hobbyists, when I read the scientific opinions, they conflict.

So now that my little guy has settled in and is actually getting fat.... just wondering how the rest of you are doing with yours and if anyone has any info to confirm or deny what I have read.... there are just WAY too many conflicting reports.

Thanks.
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!