Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-26-2005, 11:13 PM

outtafocus is on a distinguished road
Default Micro bubbles

Micro bubbles seem to continue to flow through my bubbletrap and get pumped back up to my display tank.
I believe the speed the water is forced to move through my sump drags the bubbles through my trap.

I know this isnt a huge issue, but I would like to eliminate this distraction from my display.

I have heard that a 100 micron filter bag or sock should stop most of the bubbles. Has anyone one had any experience with using one for this purpose?

I have only been able to find 100 micron filter pads, but I have also only looked in two shops, any idea on where to find these socks?

Does any one know of another solution?
Old 10-26-2005, 11:51 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

The speed of the water through your baffles will depend on the spacing between the baffles. Narrower baffle spacing = faster flow = more bubbles. If you and modify your sump baffles, make the upflowing area between baffles narrower than the downflowing area between baffles. Water will flow up fast, then slow down to go down between baffles, the bubble will go to the surface.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:59 PM

vanreefer is on a distinguished road

Do you have baffles setup in the sump... if so they may be too close together ie water flowing too quickly through them it may take the bubbles with it
Just a thought
Dan
Old 10-27-2005, 12:44 AM

The baffles are in an over-under-over configuration. They are spaced 1" apart, this spacing I got from Melevsreef.com as this was the spacing he uses with great success.

I have the water level in my return section, sitting about an 1 1/2" below my last baffle, so the water falls into this section, should I have the water level with the top of the baffle?
Old 10-28-2005, 05:27 AM

vanreefer is on a distinguished road

Just to be clear.... the water flows under the first baffle then over the second and under the third... is this the way they are setup?.... this is the prefered method... there are few to no bubbles in the water as it passes under the 3rd baffle thus decreasing the number of bubbles that are returned to the display tank.

Most of the bubbles are likely a result of the water falling 1 1/2" ...raising the water level to almost even with the final baffle should decrease the number of bubbles... but you will still get more bubbles than the under-over-under baffle configuration

HTH
Dan
Old 10-28-2005, 09:37 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

I would assume that the optimum spacing of the baffles is unique to every setup. 1" may work well for Melev, but your situation might be different due to the width/depth of the sump and the flow rate of your return pump.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:29 AM

I contacted Marc of Melevsreef and this was his response.

Yes, I use 1" between the bubble trap baffles. If you prefer 1.5", that works too. The center baffle is 1.5" off the base of the sump.

Odds are your problem is too much flow through the sump. The return pump should only move 3 to 5 times the volume of the display tank. Since your sump is a cube, I have to imagine that the tank is small. Add to that is the fact that your sump isn't long laterally, so airbubbles don't have time to rise and pop. Did you put a corner bubble tower in your sump, to trap the bubbles before they even enter the water in the first place?

Marc

I am going to assemble a bubble tower similar to Marcs designs and try that out. For the time being I will just turn down my return pump and see what affect I get.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:32 PM

GMGQ is on a distinguished road

Yeah, my sump is like Marc's F-design, with the corner bubble tower. I still got crazy bubbles in my display tank.

I choked back the return pump quite a bit, but i still get noticeable bubbles.

I've been experimenting with this leftover piece of acrylic I have, that's sorta like a C-shape. I put it around the intake of my return pump, to sort of shield it from the bubbles falling into the middle section of the sump. It sort of helps.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:37 PM

bluetang is on a distinguished road

I have Fluval foam cut to size in between my baffels and it cuts out all returning bubbles. Just take the foam out once a month for a cleaning.

Rob
Old 10-31-2005, 06:06 PM

GMGQ is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I put some foam on my baffles too. But yes, stuff does get caught in them (therefore you have a mini nitrate factory going), plus it slows the flow a lot, so that the water level in the section before the baffles is raised.

So i took them out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetang
I have Fluval foam cut to size in between my baffels and it cuts out all returning bubbles. Just take the foam out once a month for a cleaning.

Rob