Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-16-2005, 11:42 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road
Default Eradicating Anthelia

I have Anthelia growing excessively in my tank, I am trying to control it by limiting nutrients and by trimming it back, however it is a tenacious pest.

Is there anything that eats anthelia but won't eat other soft and hard corals? And has anyone found a good way to get rid of anthelia?
Old 10-16-2005, 11:46 PM

psuedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to psuedo

start ripping it out and pull the rocks out of your tank and scrub them off and dip the rock. I can now say that I finally have no anthelia in my tank, and I have never been happier
Old 10-17-2005, 12:46 AM

Dip the rock in what? Freshwater?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:07 AM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road

Wow! Killing corals.... things that make you go hmmm... I think Anthelia is a very pretty coral, have had some in my tank for 3+ years and it has been healthy and stayed on the rock on which it came... if you really want to get rid of it, try removing some of the rocks and trading with the LFS for things you want... as for things that eat it... I wouldn't say this is a natural occurence, but when I first set up my tank, my Bicolor Blenney literally MOWED the stuff down... thankfully it grew back better than ever...
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!
Old 10-17-2005, 02:31 AM

If it is a weed and you are having trouble with it suffocating other other corals like I did, then I had to eradicate it somehow.
I wasn't being unethical in my comment, I was just offering up what I had to do to get it out of my tank. I did trade a whole crap load of it before its final demise in my tank though.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:34 AM

Sorry... I wasn't questioning your ethics by any stretch. Just my form of sarcasm... I WISH I could have that problem.... maybe in a few more years...
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!
Old 10-17-2005, 02:40 AM

Yes, I did dip them in freshwater
Old 10-17-2005, 05:25 AM

Unfortunatly my corals are either glued on or encrusted on to my rocks.

I will go with strict nutrient control and manual trimming while I look for an animal that will eat anthelia - I will read up on bicolor blennies.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:21 AM

Oh please don't think that a Bicolor Blenny will be the answer... This was just an unusual behaviour I observed from my individual.... I had rearranged the tank, and apparently he didn't like the new view or something because he literally picked at every head until the whole colony was just a bunch of bit off short stalks. Then he left it alone and over the next year it regained its former splendour.

I think if you slice them off at the base and tried elasticing or gluing to small pieces of rock you could trim and encourage them to grow into frags to trade or sell.