Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 10-08-2005, 05:33 PM

AndyL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AndyL
Default Herd of horses

Haven't figured it out... Just keep getting more somehow Only 1 barbouri from the original 3 survived, got alberts remaining histrix (thanks again bud), then added two more that seem to be some kind of reidi crosses.

Now if only the local shops would start getting ghosts in again... The histrix decimated the remaining 20 overnight

Andy
Old 10-08-2005, 05:43 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

Andy,

Nice SHs They need a much better environment, though. Have a look at the pics at my old SH webpage for some ideas on how to improve their home...

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/hh-bw-28gal-whitei.htm

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 10-08-2005, 09:15 PM

Tank is still a work in progress, it was setup for seahorses using the recommendations from seahorse.org and sygnathid.com among other resources. It meets their basic needs which is what's important.

In time it will progress into something more pleasant to the eye.

Andy
Old 10-08-2005, 09:51 PM

I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, I just have a very soft spot for SHs

Providing more hitching, hunting and hiding places in the vastness of the tank will lower their stress levels. Even if you just put in a few more cheap fake plants, you will help them quite a bit psychologically, until you get the tank the way you want it.

Old 10-08-2005, 10:21 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Speaking of fake plants. I have some I tried to give away, but nobody showed up. If you want them say so. Otherwise into the garbage they will go.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 10-08-2005, 10:36 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly
Andy,

Nice SHs They need a much better environment, though. Have a look at the pics at my old SH webpage for some ideas on how to improve their home...

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/hh-bw-28gal-whitei.htm
tell us how you realy feel Bev

Andy, your off to a good start, I am sure lots of people will be able to give you pointers and such. not me though I leave sea horses to other people with more time than I have.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy
tell us how you realy feel Bev
Ouch.

Old 10-09-2005, 12:19 AM

The direction i'm headed with the tank, will be much more SH friendly, right now they seem quite content - though it doesn't show in the picture, they've got more hitches overhead, and all seem to prefer hitching around the filter intake anyway.

Plan for the tank involves headed back to my roots (planted freshwater), just trying to finding the right macros and seagrasses to make it work.

Andy
Old 10-09-2005, 03:32 AM

geopod is on a distinguished road

Andy, I have a couple of Kuda's myself.I have them in a tank by themselves.Bev I noticed on your lost marbles website.You say you never had corals iin there....is there a reason?I put in a few pieces of zoo's and a small candy cane frag for some color.Should I be removing these items?
Presently I have the two SH in a 15 gal.they are just baby ones Bev.As soon as I get home in a couple weeks I am setting up my 40gal tal for them.Andy have you found any sources for the red macro?Or stuff like that.I want to add weeddy stuff but not the plastic fakes.Keep me infromed Andy on your progress.Maybe we can learn from each other in the process.Seahorse fanatic also used to have them as well.

george
Old 10-09-2005, 03:48 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

For corals, my seahorses loved hanging onto corky finger (photosyn. gorgonian). They also liked prolifera (macroalgae). Seahorses like to be fed often, which makes for high nutrients in the water (a good reason to not to put most types of corals in SH tanks). Zoos should be ok because they seem to thrive in high nutrient tanks.

I don't have a proper tank set up for seahorses right now, so my buddy cc_bruno is trying to breed mine with his ponies I would recommend to anyone even considering getting SHs to set up a tank several months ahead of time to allow the pod/mysis population to build up. Its horrible how many times people buy "frozen mysis eating captive-bred seahorses" and take them home, just to have their new prized horses not eat frozen mysis. If a refugium is plumbed in-line, that would make it even better. Having a healthy pod population is just good insurance in case the stress of transport (even from the LFS to your tank) throws the SHs off their feed.

If your SHs aren't eating frzn foods, then you can order ghost shrimp or mysis or other live foods off the net, but that gets crazy expensive real fast. Another reason why SHs are really not a good choice for most reefers. Also, if you only have time to feed once a day, your ponies will probably starve over time.

In the last couple of months, I've had plenty of opportunity to Buy SHs, but resisted the temptation because I'm not really set up for them right now. Love 'em but I'm trying to follow my own advice.

Anthony (SeaHorseless_Fanatic )