Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-04-2005, 04:20 AM

strat is on a distinguished road
Default Making Kalkwasser in Canada

hey guys. finally got my tank up and running with some fish too. its looking great, thanks to the fully cured LR i was able to get from a reefer up island.... so my question is this, where can i buy pickling lime for making kalkwasser up here? i know on the american boards they all talk about how easy it is to pick up down there but i went to superstore and couldnt find a thing. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

kris
30 gallon tall tank, 2 clowns, 1 yellow goby, 1 bicolor blenny, snails, 1 fire shrimp, bubble coral, brain coral, shrooms, zoos, organ pipe coral, hammer coral, GSP, yellow polyps, etc. 175 Ushio MH, NO actinic, one Prism skimmer, and one Prism Pro skimmer (both running), Aquaclear Mini for Carbon, 2 Maxijets..
Old 10-04-2005, 04:30 AM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

I've never used or looked for the pickling lime but you can buy kalk powder from J&L and probably other fish stores as well and it is not very expensive.
I have a large bucket half full that if I was closer I would give you since I don't need it anymore as I am able to maintain all my levels with my calcium reactor.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:24 AM

hey thanks. i havent looked into the prices at the LFS, just figured they would be up there compared to a grocery store or something. but i will check it out. thanks
30 gallon tall tank, 2 clowns, 1 yellow goby, 1 bicolor blenny, snails, 1 fire shrimp, bubble coral, brain coral, shrooms, zoos, organ pipe coral, hammer coral, GSP, yellow polyps, etc. 175 Ushio MH, NO actinic, one Prism skimmer, and one Prism Pro skimmer (both running), Aquaclear Mini for Carbon, 2 Maxijets..
Old 10-04-2005, 05:31 AM

mr_alberta is on a distinguished road

Pickling Lime is not available in Canada. I can't remember the reason though...
Old 10-04-2005, 06:35 AM

gordypoo is on a distinguished road

Are you sure about that...........lol
Old 10-04-2005, 06:49 AM

WWWD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordypoo
Are you sure about that...........lol
you can buy pharmaceutical grade calcium hydroxide but you can't buy pickling lime retail at walmart like you can in the states. your better off using a brand name kalk anyhow, pickling lime will turn brown in a reactor and not maintain as high calcium levels as a good brand of kalk will. in any case kalk is cheap just buy the better quality stuff.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:55 PM

cheers
Old 10-04-2005, 02:23 PM

Invigor is on a distinguished road

how about domolite lime?
Old 10-04-2005, 04:56 PM

ron101 is on a distinguished road

Compared to bulk food grade calcium hydroxide, the aquarium packaged equivalent is not cheap - especially if you are running a larger tank. Ive used both and cannot tell the difference in 'performance'.

So if you can find it I say use it. As stated pickling lime is not readily available in Canada but some people manage to find sources. Ocean Aquatics sells it: https://www.oceanaquatics.com/view_p...AEPicklingLime
Old 10-04-2005, 05:49 PM

WWWD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron101
Compared to bulk food grade calcium hydroxide, the aquarium packaged equivalent is not cheap - especially if you are running a larger tank. Ive used both and cannot tell the difference in 'performance'.

So if you can find it I say use it. As stated pickling lime is not readily available in Canada but some people manage to find sources. Ocean Aquatics sells it: https://www.oceanaquatics.com/view_p...AEPicklingLime
how cheap is cheap? a 10 dollar container of kalk lasts me 3 months, pickling lime is 5 and i have to clean the brown goo out everytime i have to refill it. the lime is just not the same as true kalk.