Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-18-2005, 03:26 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road
Default Advice/input on a new tank: considering seahorses

I have a 33 gallon tank which is empty. It was a plant tank so it has an Eheim filter, 90 watt of flourescent lighting, and a calcium carbonate substrate about 2 to 5 mm size.

I was considering setting up a Seahorse tank. If I did this I would get lots of macroalgae growing in the tank.

My other option would be to make it a fish only tank for interesting non-reef-safe fish.

Just wondering which option will be most rewarding and enjoyable, or give me the best return on my effort.

If I went with Seahorses, the questions I have are: how hard is it to get ahold of captive-bred seahorses in Vancouver? And which species would be best for that size of tank?

If I went with a fish-only tank, any advice on a good mix of fish get?

Not sure what I want to do with this tank yet, it is just sitting there empty so I want to do something with it.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:23 PM

Van down by the river is on a distinguished road

Hello
Captive bred seahorses are available about once every 2 months. The prices can range greatly depending on the source. I would strongly recommend you spend some time on http://www.seahorse.org/
A good seahorse book would also be helpful.
Issue #1 of Coral Magazine(Seahorse Issue) would be a great resource as well. It is almost a book in itself.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:51 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

If you want to keep seahorses, my best advice to you would be to set up the tank & let it run for a couple of months with some pods & live mysis. When they breed enough to overrun the tank then you will have some added insurance in case your new captive breds decide not to eat frzn foods (which they often do). Will you have the time to target feed them small amounts of mysis several times a day? These are high maintenance fish & being prepared tank-wise & being willing to give them the care they need will give you the best chance of having success.

BTW, the Coral Magazine James recommends is an awesome resource.

Good luck & here's a pic of mine,

Anthony
Old 06-19-2005, 05:10 AM

cc_bruno is on a distinguished road

I think a couple of months would be a minimum... like any tank, it needs to be stable,and will do it's usual cycle first.. then, get it ready by adding some live mysid, and then wait a few months to let them breed, (you can speed that up by adding live BBS every few days to help the mysid grow, and not hunt each other down for food, (which will happen if there is not enough food for them). After that, then, you should be good to go. As mentioned, Coral #1 is a great magazine to get to read up on, and www.seahorse.org as well. Another site to check out is http://www.syngnathid.org/. If you have any questions, definitely contact our resident guru Anthony, (Seahorse_fanatic) .

Also, on really big and important piece of advice... right now, the ones that are available, as captive bred, are Hippocampus Erectus... if you get them, or ever plan on getting then, DO NOT ever mix them with other seahorses. They are known to be carriers of Vibrio, and while they will be fine and show no symptoms, they will take out any other seahorse you have, (yes, there is lots written up on it, on the two sites, and while it has been known to be done, it's not worth the risk). Aside from that, get ready for the best ride of your life... owning seahorses is more work, but man is it worth it, (I currently have 11 H. Erectus, and 4 H. Reidi... wouldn't trade them for the world, (well, actually, only 10 H. Erectus, as one belongs to John, (Death By Dawn), and will go back to him when it's eating frozen again, (still working on it John ))).

Robert