Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-04-2005, 04:46 PM

dennenboom is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to dennenboom Send a message via Yahoo to dennenboom
Default aggresive Coral Banded Shrimp

Okay

I have had a coral banded for a while and he was okay with other fish, but he was in a tank alone by himself for a while. When I added fish to this tank, he got aggresive and tried to chase the fish around. Has anyone seen this?

Den
Old 04-04-2005, 05:35 PM

Willow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Willow Send a message via Yahoo to Willow

haha, i was at tiggers place an watched his big bastage in the 175 try and grab fish after fish as they crusied by. they can get quite aggressive an most people don't put them in reef tanks.

90 Gallon LPS tank - Challice, Acans, Favia, Diplo and Zoos
125 Gallon SPS Coming Soon!
Old 04-04-2005, 05:54 PM

Scales is on a distinguished road

My last CBS was very aggressive...he would chase anything, including my hand during maintenance...fortunately those little pinchers don't hurt...after he ate a couple of gobies, I only kept him with large fish that weren't likley to end up as dinner...
Old 04-08-2005, 04:20 PM

Jeff is on a distinguished road

He actually killed fish? Or did you ever actually "see" him doing it? They scavenge dead bodies, but I just can't see one killing a fish, they just aren't strong enough.

I had a gigantic one about the size of my hand for a good number of years. his front claw structures were the size of a large finger.

He'd chase and chase but they are just not strong enough to catch any decent size fish and kill em.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:52 PM

Renegade is on a distinguished road

i've got one in my tank, (50gal) And hes fine, he was more upset that i put a lobster in my tank then anything b/c the lobster took over his home lol

Kyle

Renegade
Old 04-08-2005, 07:01 PM

Scales is on a distinguished road

I have had three CBS over the years...all displayed aggression and chased other fish...the last one "Tyson" (the only invertebrate I ever named) was particularly aggressive and predatory...must have been exposed to steroids...

...while I have no evidence of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, on a balance of probabilities I am sure Tyson killed a couple of small gobies...one in particular - a small yellow clown goby - that fish was doing well until one morning the CBS had him firmly in his claw and was munching away...sure, the fish could have died in the night...but I doubt it...the next goby (can't recall the exact type) was bigger and I concede more diffcult for Tyson to catch...so perhaps he died...in any event, no further small fish went into that tank (55gal)...at one point, I was forced to keep a small'ish clown trigger with Tyson for a week...even though it was double the size of the shrimp, it stayed away from those lunging claws...Tyson's claws seemed pretty strong...he grabbed my hand once and held on for some time, refusing to release...his appendage actually separated from his body...