Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-03-2005, 03:37 AM

Scavenger is on a distinguished road
Default Mushroom removal??

Just curious if anyone has any mushroom thinning tips. Some of my fuzzy greens are starting to get out of control and I'm trying to thin them out. I managed to get some pryed off the rock intact which I mounted for trade but some are anchored deep in rock pores. I've tryed scraping and picking, but never seem to get the whole thing and they grow back. I'm finding this stresses my tank too much and I'm goin through too much carbon this way.

Would the old apstasia boiling water injection work or does anyone have other suggestions?

Tanks in advance
Scav
Old 04-03-2005, 10:43 AM

sumpfinfishe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to sumpfinfishe

If you and when you get to the point that you no longer wish to keep any mushrooms you may do what I did-scrape all mushrooms off the rock and boil all tissue polluted rock

all that we do is touched with ocean,
yet we remain on the shore of what we know
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/5/aquarium
Old 04-03-2005, 03:57 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Something drastic like Rich says may be the only answer. I know I have had no success removing all my mushrooms. You might try local treatment with boiling water in a turkey baster. That way you don't destroy the rock completely. It works for me on Aiptasia, so it may work on mushrooms.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 04-03-2005, 04:02 PM

bear27 is on a distinguished road

Ive used a strong mixture of kalk and pretend there aptasia
Old 04-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

If you can remove the rock from the tank, scrape what you can and buy some muriatic acid at teh hardware store. Couple of drops on the remaining tissue, no more mushrooms.
Muriatic is weak hydrochloric acid, so handle with care. But without taking teh rock out, best of luck! You know that little chunk of goo that came off when you were scraping?? It will become a few new mushrooms in no time, likely where you can't reach them!
Old 04-03-2005, 06:45 PM

monza is on a distinguished road

When I upgraded to a bigger tank I spent hours scraping off mushrooms, removed hundreds. Made sure I took lots of the rock as well. I took out infested rock for trade/sale or give away. Been about two months and yes you guessed it, lots of mushrooms in the new tank. So I would have to agree chemical warfare or completely removing and replacing the rock is the only way.

Good Luck! I do plan and trying to keep up physical removal up for a bit until I hear of the chemical I can use with confidence in the tank.

Dave
Old 04-03-2005, 09:48 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

I have tried like hell to propagate mushrooms and they won't grow.

About 8 months ago I bought two small blue mushrooms from OA and I still have 2 small blue mushrooms. Everything else in the tank is doing fine.

I concluded that mushrooms won't grow for me because the nutrient levels are too low. I suggest that instead of physical eradication, consider nutrient manipulation to prevent the mushroom growth. JMO.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:57 PM

Scavenger is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the input guys!!!
This morning I tried 2 experiments:

1: I injected 1 mushroom with kalk. Instant full shrink and loss of all colour. This looks promising, will post any developments.

2: I scraped another off while using a syphon tube to catch any float offs.
I'm confident I got all the pieces. This method may work if I co-inside mushroom removal with water changes.

At this point, I don't think my shroom problem is so large as to merit ripping the old reef apart, but I'll keep that as a contigenciy plan. I appreciate the ideas put forth here, and if anyone wants some mushrooms, come on over and bring your shroom scraper!
Old 04-06-2005, 07:38 PM

monza is on a distinguished road

I'd recommend removing the rock if you’re scraping them off. Your method was my method and I believe that is where the problem came from. Now I actually remove the rock then scrape rock, not just the mushroom, actually digging into rock.

I know that can be almost impossible to remove the rock with out a tear down sometimes but IMO I’d leave it rather then scrape in tank.

Dave
Old 04-06-2005, 09:46 PM

Rikko is on a distinguished road

You could borrow Rob's Moorish Idol