Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-28-2005, 10:58 PM

4ptbuck is on a distinguished road
Default Prizm Pro Mod

I just found this Prizm Mod courtesy of sumpfinfishe. Has anybody done this? Woould it work for a 'Prizm' ie not Pro as well?

I used a piece of 2"od acrylic that was 1 15/16" long and siliconed it into the recess under the collection cup, then I slid a piece of 2' scheldue 40 pvc that is 1 3/4" long over the piece of acrylic, I put a bit of silicone between the two as there was a little play... I also added an extra o-ring to the skimmer body, the pvc slides over the neck of the skimmer body and stops when it meets up with the acrylic tube inside the pvc. Setup like this you can open up the flow controll on the skimmer all the way, for bubbles I will get pics soon of the buble trap I made out of some scrap acrylic and filter floss... it works very well, seemed to handle a well stocked 135gallon without problem, might want to add a fitting to drain the collection cup into a remote collection jug as it fills the collection cup almost to the top everyday with a dark green soup.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:23 AM

sumpfinfishe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to sumpfinfishe

4ptbuck,
This mod and instructions were posted by UnderWorldAquatics(Kyle) over a year ago. I did the same mod to my Prizm skimmer- note not a Prizm Pro. The mod works great, a few simple cut's of some pvc and some silicone and that's it! The mod works great if your getting too much wet foam with the intake valve opened all the way.

all that we do is touched with ocean,
yet we remain on the shore of what we know
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/5/aquarium
Old 03-29-2005, 05:20 PM

4ptbuck is on a distinguished road

Cool I do get too much wet foam with the skimmer wide open.

Now here the million dollar question. Where to buy the parts, I imagine Home Depot for the PVC, but what about the acrylic.

How does this mod work? Does it extend the cylinderical chamber down and longer?

Thanks
4pts
Old 03-30-2005, 01:03 AM

sumpfinfishe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to sumpfinfishe

All I bought was two small scraps of pvc and a larger o'ring and the bill was under $5 at HD. I didn't use any plexi, just pvc.
The extension of the collection throat allows the skimmer to be opened up without producing wet foam, it's only a few inches in height difference but it's sure worth it.
It's just a matter of finding the right two sizes of pvc to work with the base of the collection cup and at the top of the skimmer body.

all that we do is touched with ocean,
yet we remain on the shore of what we know
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/5/aquarium