Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 03-20-2005, 07:47 PM

cc_bruno is on a distinguished road
Default Building a sump/refugium

I'll be getting some 1/4" thick acrylic this week, and was wondering what the tallest sump I could build with it, both with, and without cross supports along the top. The sheets are 50"x75", and was thinking of making it a sump/refugium, that measured 18" tall, 24" wide, and 72" long, with each being half of the length, (so, a 36" long sump and a 36" long refugium). Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Robert

P.S. I don't know if it's cell cast or extruded, so, let's assume extruded, and go worst case.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:51 PM

Nemo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Nemo
Default Re: Building a sump/refugium

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_bruno
I'll be getting some 1/4" thick acrylic this week, and was wondering what the tallest sump I could build with it, both with, and without cross supports along the top. The sheets are 50"x75", and was thinking of making it a sump/refugium, that measured 18" tall, 24" wide, and 72" long, with each being half of the length, (so, a 36" long sump and a 36" long refugium). Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Robert

P.S. I don't know if it's cell cast or extruded, so, let's assume extruded, and go worst case.
If you also pick up some 1/2" X 1/2" stock and run it around the inside 6" from the top it will add alot of suport, and prevent it from bowing out
Old 03-20-2005, 08:00 PM

Corey is on a distinguished road

If you are putting baffles between the two sections that should hold it from bowing.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:02 AM

The sump part will have quite a few sections and baffles in it, so, that part of it, I'm not too worried about, but, the refugium part, I am, as the goal is to have it as one large section, all in it's own. I'm thinking about using a full sheet over top of it, with two sections cut out of it, if that will support it enough to allow me to make it 18" tall.... but, if I can get away with not having to do that, then great, as the extra piece will come in handy for something else.

As for the 1/2" stock... that's an idea... will have to purchase that seperately, (I'm not getting the 1/4" from a manufacturer... it's a friend of a friend, so, what he has is what I have to choose from).

Robert
Old 03-21-2005, 05:10 AM

hockey nut is on a distinguished road

my sump is made of 1/4 acrylic and is id 34" x 17"w x 20" tall. ( 50 gal ) I have 1 x 1/2 inch brace and 2 x 1/4 inch baffles. No prbs at all.

HTH
Old 03-21-2005, 04:25 PM

Thanks Hockey nut... Makes me less concerned about building one that big. Thanks again everyone who replied.

Robert
Old 03-22-2005, 09:04 AM

Here is a pic of the sump. The 1/2 brace is inside the sump in a u type shape.

HTH

If you can't see the image below, look in photo gallery in equipment

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/sho...php?photo=2390
Old 03-22-2005, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the pic. Yeah, seems like that would add enough support for it. Makes me want to upsize it a little, (originally wanted to make it 24"Hx24"Wx72"L... may just cap it at 20"Hx24"Wx72"L..... need some space under the tank to reach in through). Essentially, if I build it correctly, and support it enough, I'm really only limited to available space under the tank, (and, as the stand has yet to be built, they can take on almost any size and shape ). Thanks again for your help.

Robert
Old 03-22-2005, 08:26 PM

I did that. I knew the measurements of the stand so I thought I could build the sump for it with no probs. Well it didn't fit. So I cut out some holes in a wall for plumbing and put it in a different room. Good for me but not so Happy wife though. oooppsss. Anyhow good luck with your project and if you can do it use 1/2 inch and sleep better at night.

Cheers
Old 03-22-2005, 10:25 PM

I'd love to use 1/2", but, I got the 1/4" for a real deal, so, as money is always an issue in this hobby, and lack of it is usually the case, you go with what you can . I'll build it with 1/4", and then reinforce it with supports, (will more than likely go with a sealed top, and use a router to remove sections of it to allow access into the refugium). I'm not too worried about the sump part of it, as there will be plenty of support with the baffles, (but, will still run a 2" - 3" strip all the way around it.... One major flood and I can see me spending a few nights on the couch ).

Thanks again for your help. Hopefully, it will go well, and without too much of a hassle, or leaks, and I'll be one step closer to finally setting up my tank, (this has been a 6 month process so far, so, I don't expect miracles anymore )

Robert